XP home or pro?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XP home or pro?

Postby Falklian » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:22 am

I currently have XP home installed on my computer, it works wonderfully and the best OS I've seen from MS... and definately worth the upgrade as my machine came pre-installed with ME *shudder* Anyways, a friend of mine has a burned copy of Pro which he says is a "special" version. Apparently, he claims that this copy is used by companies that build computers. It is used to put copies of the OS on many machines with no need to activate it. Is there such a thing and if there is, what is the likely-hood of him getting his hands on something like this? I'd like a copy of this CD, but I don't want to get the shaft when it comes to updating to SP1. So I guess the real quiestion is, which is better, home or pro? And if pro is better, should I use the copy and risk the chance of not being able to upgrade my OS? On a side note, if pro *is* better, I can get a copy of it for $99 through my college bookstore instead of risking putting a copy on my machine :D
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby effika » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:21 am

What your friend is talking about is the corporate version of Pro. It's quite possible for him to get ahold of it if he's got friends in the right places.

I'm not sure about any problems you might have with updating it, though.
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:32 am

Yup, your friend is using a version of XP that is sold with a bulk of licenses. While it does require no activation, I would be somewhat hesitant to install it on my PC. I would at the least install a software firewall or other similair software to monitor any incoming or outgoing internet traffic. It would be easy for Microsoft to send an IP address along with username, etc, with the logged CD-Key/License number.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hitless » Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:41 pm

When I asked the dealer the same question. He asked me what I do with my computer. I told him I am basically a serious internet gamer. His answer was to get Home. He told me all the gaming drivers and stuff needed for that is in both. But, if I wanted to do vidio editing and stuff like that to go with pro. I got Home and love it. Very satisfied with it. Best OS Ive ever had and Ive had them all!
Hitless
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Operating Systems