Question about Windows 2000 pro

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Question about Windows 2000 pro

Postby incatar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:01 pm

:?: I am currently using Windows ME and have recently purchased a licensed copy of Windows 2000 pro from a disgruntled friend who said he didn't like the way it worked. I gave him $20 for it so I think I got a good deal. Anyway, I am under the impression that I'll have to purge my drives because of the NTFS not being compatable with the 32 bit file storage method used by previous windows editions. Is this true? It would be a real bummer to loose the many hours of program reloading time and downloading to get the latest IE ver6.1 downloads and security protocalls, etc, etc. I can back up my system to CD roms, but will backup disks created with ME work under 2000 when restoring the system. Plus the whole system of setting up "administrator" protocalls is more than a little intimidating. I would be grateful for any tips, hints, guidance or mentoring anyone would care to provide. Thanks in advance!
incatar
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:27 pm

You cannot upgrade from Me to Windows 2000. As far as being able to back up your programs to disk or CD's might be possible but I cannot garentee it....

To get from Me to Windows 2000 you will have to format the drive and do a "clean install" of the Windows 2000. Or invest in a program like partition magic and create a dual boot system.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:52 pm

Easiset way to do it would be to dual boot with me and 2000. Create a partition using partition magic v7 and install 2000 to that and then you have the choice.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Tolemac » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:07 pm

While partitioning is definitely an option, you will still have to re-install onto the 2K partition anything that you want to run while in 2K.

Here's a link that I think will give you a head start on installing 2K:
http://content.techweb.com/winmag/windows/guides/win2000/default.htm
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:24 pm

[adding to what mr t suggested]

win2kpro will work on fat32 (same as winme). perform a derfrag/ speed disk first, then add partition and resize winme down to about 4gig, then load win2kpro to the second partition (prob d drive- letter after winme partition)- you'll want to be certain to specify the newly created partition, as you'll have the option to agree w/ c drive, or other (what you want)- rest should be set up by the os- i'd also recommend actually adding 1 or 2 more partitions for data storage, and resize/ specify win2kpro target partition as 4 gig (or so +/-)
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Operating Systems