HP Pavilion, Presarios hit by Microsoft XP patch glitch

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

HP Pavilion, Presarios hit by Microsoft XP patch glitch

Postby Aussie » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:26 am

http://213.219.40.69/?article=5624

Don't download SP1

By Mike Magee: Monday 30 September 2002, 08:41

MICROSOFT IS WARNING owners of the HP Pavilion or the Compaq Presario using Windows XP that upgrading using SP1 could mean the OS will not work at all.
A warning on its Knowledge Base site said that those type of computers pre-installed with Windows XP can crash and burn if the system recovery utility that comes with the machine is used.

What happens is that important Windows XP files get replaced by the system recovery process and that means machines are unbootable.

The problem lies with the vendor, Microsoft warns, and it tells you to get on the blower and get an update from the manufacturer.

Compaq's restore disk finally comes back and bits them on the arse. :lol:

How sweet it is.

I'm sure that HWJ will see the sick side of my joke despite the fact that he's going to be the one on the end of the phone when the calls come in. :twisted:

I know how you feel HWJ but think of this, in a one man computer operation there is only one man to answer the phone so he gets ALL the calls. Lucky I'm not selling OEM boxes eh?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby EvLwMn » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:42 am

Well imagine that. :twisted: Doesn't it just figure :?:
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:59 am

Doesn't it just figure

Yeah, it does actually. The more boxes you sell the greater risk of falling foul of a snooker like this.

The more tickets in the lottery the greater the chance of winning. :roll:

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:55 pm

I have had a couple of calls already concerning failed SP1 updates, but the Restore Plus (new name for Quick Restore) usually reverts the system back to factory condition without issue.
Then the update usually works after that.

From what I understand about Sp1, it deletes all the Recovery data for the restore points. There is no way to go back afterwards.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems