WinXP to Win98SE

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

WinXP to Win98SE

Postby Mathwei » Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:41 pm

Been having stability problems of late, and have downloaded/installed every driver/update I can think of. Whenever I play a game, my comp either crashes to desktop or reboots. Dark Age of Camelot takes me to desktop. Diablo II reboots. Mafia does both.

MSI K7T266a Pro2
Volcano 6cu+ CPU fan
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
Enermax 365 PS
Asus V8200 GeForce 3 ti 200
Asus 32x,12x,40x CD-RW
256 Crucial 2100 DDRAM
Maxtop Coolcase with side and top fans

I have the upgrade version of WinXP home installed, upgraded from Win98SE from initial, clean install of 98SE. Every driver is updated, all critical updates and service packs installed. Only thing left is Bios, but my version is the 2nd newest, and I don't think that's the problem.

I am using the AC'97 Onboard sound, and am thinking it's either that, or just WinXP sucks poo-pie. I have purchased a sound card from NewEgg, the Turtle Beach/Voyetra. Since the problem only happens on 3D games, I can only assume that it is either video, sound, or WinXP Non-Gaming OSyndrome.

BTW, anyway to go from WinXP to Win98SE without formatting?

2 cents anyone?
Mathwei
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:01 pm

Unfortunately, your best bet is going to be reformatting and reinstalling XP Home WITHOUT going over Win98SE. Yes, I know it's supposed to go over it without problems, but I hear about this kind of thing all over the net. If you decide to do this, all you have to do is after the format is run the XP cd. It will ask you for the Win98 cd to verify that you qualitfy for the upgrade and then it will carry on.

But before you go through all that, you may want to go ahead and try the latest BIOS update first. Worth a shot and alot less hassle. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mathwei » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:54 pm

Found out me problem. I found that the 4in1 driver for VIA CPU to AGP was not WHQL verified, nor was the AC'97 driver I installed with MSI Live Monitor. So, being WinXP, I rolled back...and everything is fine.

Guess that question pops up for a reason when installing drivers. :oops:
Mathwei
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:58 pm

Glad you found the cause and were able to get it right. Yeah, those damn drivers can be a real pain. Most of the time the non-WHQL drivers work just fine, but then there are others that will give you fits. Thank god for rollback! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems