ATi and Windows XP

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

ATi and Windows XP

Postby gamepyrate » Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:25 pm

I have had two ATi cards: Radeon 8500 and Radeon 32mb DDR. Neither have I ever gotten to work successfully under Windows XP with new driver updates.

The video card at hand is my Radeon 8500, which works fine with the standard XP drivers from the CD, but crashes after I have installed and rebooted with any of the newer driver updates: all catalysts, the one that came with the Radeon and even the reference drivers from ATi's website. In Windows 98SE, no problems occur with the newest driver updates or any in-between.

My system is as follows:
Soyo KT266 Dragon Motherboard
XP1800+ CPU w/ Volcano 7 @ 38*C
256mb KingMax DDR266mhz RAM
Radeon 8500LE 64mb
Maxtor/Quantum 40gig Fireball

Every time it happens, either my screen goes black [as if in suspend mode] or the computer freezes for 10-15 seconds and a message comes up saying that a device failed and that i need to restart the computer.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this stupid problem has been going on for almost a year now and yet no resolve!!
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:52 pm

And also, I am thinking maybe it is some odd incompatilibity issue with my Sound Blaster Live Value, as I ran the ATi Multimedia Center System Compatibilty Check and it warned that

Sound card with clock stability better than +/- 0.2%
Sound card clock stability can affect DVD and video synchronization. The sound card clock is used during DVD audio decoding and playback; if the clock is erratic, it may force video frame delaying or dropping to compensate for the effect.
ATI Control Panel & Compatibility Help v7.0 ©2000 ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC.

Now this only has to do with DVD it says, but I wonder if maybe there is some problem with my sound card-motherboard-videocard setup :?: :?:

After restarting after crashing, it said that "The display driver for Radeon 8500 seems to be responsible for the system instability" and I went to see information on the error and it gave this:

szAppName : Drivers.Display szAppVer : 1002514C00013A1002
szModName : ati2dvag.dll szModVer : 6.13.3276.0 Offset : AA4206EA
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:27 pm

Two things. Have you tried these drivers found here: http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/winxp/radeon8500winxpdrivers.html

Try disabling the sound card and using the on-board sound instead and see if you have the same problem. If not, then the sound card is to blame. If so, then the drivers are the culprit.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:30 pm

Okay I tried the drivers you gave, along with the Hydravision and Control Panel software. It worked fine for about half an hour, while I left it in 640x480 @ 16bit mode, but I changed it to 1280x1024 @32bit, did some of the usual stuff, and it crashed as it always has done. I am thinking, maybe some resolution problem? This issue completely baffles me.

By the way, this card is the Sapphire build OEM LE model I got from NewEgg, if that makes any difference. I have tried the drivers from the sapphire site with it, too, and they crash too, even though I removed the sound card.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:21 pm

and by the way, i flashed the card with the original 1.009 bios, so it is not considered a powered-by-ati but a built-by-ati...
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Operating Systems