can i upgrade burnt copy of windows2000pro to XP pro?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

can i upgrade burnt copy of windows2000pro to XP pro?

Postby SpanishPride222 » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:56 pm

Ok here's the thing. I can get a copy of the XP professional upgrade for 100 bucks. I have a burnt copy of Windows 2000 professional I bought in Peru (maybe since another country, different cd keys?) So, Im putting a new computer together and itll cost me 100 to get XP home. Id rather have XP pro so Im wondering if maybe I can put my new comp together , not buy the XP home OS, install my burnt copy of win2000pro, then buy the XP pro upgrade and upgrade win2000pro to XP pro? That would be awesome so if you have any reasons why it wouldnt work. I do have the cd key for win2000pro and the XP pro would be official so I wouldnt have any problems there I dont think. So if anyone knows if this would or wouldnt work, id really appreciate it. Thanks.

Also, Ive read that win2000pro is better than XP for games and whatnot. so should I just forget this XP thing and just go with win98se? Thanks for any and all input.
PLEASE HELP ME
SpanishPride222
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:42 pm

Only thing I can think of that would make this NOT work, is if Windows XP was able to detect that your CDKEY for 2K was fradulant...
But I doubt that would be the case.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby greytrains » Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:47 pm

You shouldn't have to install win 2k. All you have to do is start the install for win xp and it will ask you for a valid windows disk. Then put in the win 2k install disk in, it will get what ever info it needs and continue with the install. The upgrade version of windows has the full version on it, they just never tell you that.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:12 pm

Then put in the win 2k install disk in, it will get what ever info it needs and continue with the install.

At that point it might see that its a copy rather then a ligit version.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby greytrains » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:30 pm

At that point it might see that its a copy rather then a ligit version.

I used a win 2k upgrade version with a win 98se burned copy as my original program with out any problems.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:03 pm

*cough* *cough*
At that point it MIGHT see that its a copy rather then a ligit version.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:59 pm

LOL HJ!
Yeah, you can do as dhuber said as I've had to do that a couple of times and no worries.

BTW, XP is excellent for games whereas 2000 in any version is not so good. Networking, yes. Games, no.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems