Windows XP Mystery--Please help me solve it!!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Mystery--Please help me solve it!!

Postby Raquel » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:23 pm

1st Mystery--Purchases a used motherboard with no manual-looks new and onboard amenities include vidoo (AGP), sound, 2 PS/2 ports, ethernet adapter, 2 USB ports, 3 PCI slots, 1 FDCI slot, 2 IDE slots, 2 DIMM slots. I am also using a VIA C3 microprocessor with this motherboard.

Hardware added: 3-1/2 drive, CD-ROM drive, 30 Gig Hard Drive
Status: POST okay, all hardware recognized, boot order: floppy, CD, hard drive, other devices.

2nd Mystery--Loaded windows XP. It would not load automatically so I saved all of the i386 files, and the system32 files on the harddrive and loaded it manually by typing "winnt" and following the instructions. However, on the first boot, I get the normal grey dotted Windows XP line scrolling across the bottom of the screen and then a blank black screen appears. I checked the "Windows Catalog" and I believe the VIA C3 processor may be suitable for Windows XP.

Please help me solve this mystery! I need to use this computer for my business ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Raquel
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby IanMatthew » Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:14 am

:) I also use a VIA C3 processor, with NO probs whatsoever with Win XP Home. Indeed all my stuff is Winxp compat. Windows even correctly identifies the C3 as a VIA "EZRA", the VIA codename for the C3.

Your problem could be the combination of the C3 and your particular motherboard.

Your motherboard could work well with WinXP. The VIA C3 as I said works with Win xp. Together they may not get along. As you don't have a manual for your motherboard, I'd find out the exact make and model no and download the manual from the relevant website.

The manual shoul tell you which processor the board will take, in your case Pent III / Celeron / C3. If it does take the VIA C3 it'll probably say "Cyrix III" as VIA bought out Cyrix a few years ago.
My PC's bios on screen start up details for example say "Cyrix III 866A". I know for certain I have a VIA C3 installed, I should know, as I built my PC myself.
Bear in mind that the VIA C3 is not very widespread and your motherboard may simply lack support for it. A bios upgrade may well do the trick, but of course you need that elusive manual. Hope this helps, good luck........
IanMatthew
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks for your help!

Postby Raquel » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:02 am

Thanks IanMatthew! I identified my motherboard (finally!!) and I have a manual now. From my understanding, a bios upgrade has a high probability of enabling the Via C3 to work with my MB (Part #M754LMR). The manual says the MB works with either a PPGA celeron or a FCPGA PIII. A reading of the bios upgrade literature said there is a fix to allow the MB to support VIA Cyrix III CPUs. Now it's just a matter of getting the upgrade installed--the next big mystery to solve!!

(I found the ugrade, however at http://www.protac.com.au/files/mb/bios.html and http://www.pcchips.com.tw/BIOS.html for anyone else who may ever need to upgrade the BIOS on this particular MB.)
Raquel
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Operating Systems