Windows XP Slow and Unstable

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Slow and Unstable

Postby Gordinho80 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:54 am

I have an Asus A7V333 system with an AMD XP 2100, 512 MB DDR Kingmax, and an 80 GB Western Digital 7200RPM HD...I had problems installing Windows XP on their...i finally got it in, now, Windows is Unstable and SLOWER THAN A SNAIL....

I tried to DL and install the Service Pack 1 and I get Stop errors and the computer restarts automatically...I have no idea what is going on...

My Pentium 3 800 and 256 DIMM system was 10 times faster than how my new system is running now...

what is the problem???

ANYBODY??? PLEASE???
Gordinho80
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Phillipste » Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:05 am

A couple of things; none of them fun.

Trying downloading SiSandre and other benchmarking software. Test all you components and see if any generate errors or are particually slow. Bad memory, harddrive, AGP/PCI Cards could all be causing a problem.

If possible try removing hardware from you machine to see it speeds up. Or trying using hardware from the other machine.

Trying reformating the hard drive and starting from sratch.
ANTEC SX1040b case,ASUS A7V333,AMD Athlon XP 2200+ ,Thermaltake Volcano 9
512mb Corsair PC2100,120 GB WD w 8mb Cache,GAIDWARD Geforce4 TI4600,NEC Multisynch A500
Phillipste
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:10 am

Check out the hardware compatibility list for XP. It has issues with many cards (especially sound cards and video cards). Be sure yours are specifically listed as compatible. You can find the text version of the HCL here. Also as previosly stated, check out your memory and hard drive to be sure they are operating properly.

If you have access to another operating system, try installing it to see if it has similar problems.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:19 am

It looks very much like your RAM. This board is notoriously temperamental for the type of RAM it will work with. Brands i have found that work with it so far are CRUCIAL,SAMSUNG,WINBOND,HYNI, CORSAIR and NANYA.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby gaviota » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:09 pm

Also make sure your BIOS is set to "optimal". I tried the "Turbo" settings and I would get random crashes.
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Gordinho80 » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:30 am

I replaced Memory with Samsung...
I switched out all the cards...
Still slow...
I reformatted and installed again...
Still slow...
is it possible that the CPU may be bad?

thanks in advance...
Mario