Good gaming Operating System?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:47 am

Oh you gotta have wallpaper!

Nah, that's up to you, but wallpaper doesn't soak up that much in resources. But if every drop counts, it's worth removing.

The main thing during installation is to eliminate all the extra crap Microsoft wants to throw at you.

* Outlook
* Outlook Express
* MSN Messenger
* Accessability Options
* MS Exchange
* Desktop Themes

Etc, etc etc.

Some appear during install, others are offered as an "update"

Always go through the detail of every item being installed. Only install the ones you know you will need. If in doubt, don't install it, and just don't lose the 98 Install disk.

Another tip is when Reinstalling Video drivers and Sounds drivers, do not use the Autoplay install routine. Instead, locate the device on the Control Panel/System Icon and load the drivers manually via "Change/Update Drivers". Use the search/find feature to locate the requested files on the Drivers CD.

There you go, no silly task bars, media and message centers, or other hoopla, just the drivers installed for the hardware. That's it for minumal fluff for now, as that is all I can think of.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:14 pm

thanks for the extensive explanation. i use outlook express for e-mail, and do all the windows updates for it as well as win98se- question is, do you recommend an alternative to outlook express?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:37 pm

question is, do you recommend an alternative to outlook express?

I personally use Netscape Messenger to check my mail. Very fast and clean.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby woofers4 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:18 pm

Absolutely. Netscape messenger works very well for me, especially the newest version. I love Netscape 7. Anyways, I agree, Win98SE can be very stable if you have it set up well. The keys are to minimize the Microsoft crap during install, have as few programs as possible running in the bacground, and plenty of ram. I've found that certain programs running in the background cause more trouble than others, so start with the bare minimum and work your way up prioritizing what is most important to you, and when you start to have problems w/ stability back off. Call me a purist or whatever, but I have no wallpaper, only 3 icons on my desktop, no extra motion like auto hiding task bar, and only 5 items in my taskbar--including Norton stuff. It may seem like I'm overdoing it, but my 350mhz runs very fast and I can leave my machine on with apps. running for days at a time no crashes.

I don't like XP. Maybe if I had a ton of power it would be less of a big deal, but it's so big and clunky, not to mention I don't like the way it looks or the way it is organized. For the sake of your original question, I know people with XP pro and Home and the ones with pro seem to be a lot happier with their OS. I also have a friend who runs Win2kpro and he can run pretty much any game he wants as long as it's recent. He has some backwards-compatibility issues with old stuff (EZ cd creator 5 was a nightmare) but it's very stable and gets in your way less than XP. I'll probably switch to that when I get the rest of my parts and upgrade to an XP 1600+ I'm not a hardcore gamer anyway.
woofers4
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hitless » Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:37 pm

I just built my own system. And to save a few bucks and on some recommendation I went with 98se. Things never seem to run right and my benchmarks were pretty low for the system I built (Gigabyte ga-eixp mobo, p4. 2.0a 400fsb, 512 2100 ddr, raided striped 0 hard drives, and a gf4 ti4600 vid card. I spent about two weeks with the tech I bought the stuff from and he and I never could get it running well. He finally said that 98se just couldnt operate the stuff i had, and suggested I get XP. I really didnt want to because I had heard horror stories about XP. Well I installed it and love it. Benchmarks are way up and system runs very stable. Now I just want to go to the P4 2.8. Were just never satisfied are we!
Hitless
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Previous

Return to Operating Systems