Dual Booting WME & XP

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Dual Booting WME & XP

Postby chris purkiss » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:29 am

Been giving some thought to dual-booting the above.

My master drive is 60GB and as you will see from the following has ample unused space so I have discarded getting another hdd as this would seem to be an unnecessary extra cost.

This leaves two options. The first is to use the secondary (Logical) partition that exists on my master drive. This, according to Partition Magic, is 14,880.5 MB in size of which 14,721.3MB is free.

The second option is to create a new partition from the free space on the Primary 'C' drive. Again according to Partition Magic this is 42,358.9MB in of which 34,517.7MB is unused.

The first option is the most straight forward as all I would need to do is to install XP. On the minus side is the fact that I use this 'drive' as a swap drive for all sorts of odds and ends such music files etc. and it would just make life a bit more messy. I was also going to use the drive to store any image files I create with Drive Image.

Option two is the most logical but more complicated. There is ample space on the drive to create an additional partition of say 15GB. This would still leave over 20GB unused on my current 'C' drive.

I've gone through the Partition Magic wizard for creating a new partition (but stopping before creating). If I elect to install an operating system the first problem(?) is that the Select Operating System window only shows DOS/Windows 3.x,Windows 95/98,Windows NT,Windows 2000,Linux & OS2.

I assume I would need to select either Windows 95/98 or Windows 2000 as the next window Select system file type gives the option of FAT32 for both. The next window is Choose partition type. This defaults to primary if an OS is to be installed. I assume I would choose Primary if I had selected Windows 95/98 earlier but Windows 2000 can go on either Primary or Logical.

Would I have to select Windows 95/98 or Windows 2000 if I'm going to install Windows XP? I would think it more likely to be Windows 2000 but I'm not sure.

Irrespective of what I decide on dual booting creating an extra partition seems to have some benefits. I can't imagine that I would ever use the remaining 34GB for programs so by adding another partition I can keep all my OS and programs separate from anything else. It's a pity I didn't think about it when I built my new system but I wasn't thinking of dual booting then.

The process for option two seems logical, the difficulty I have is in making the actual decision to go ahead. I've never used Partition Magic before so I'm in uncharted territory. I have a working WME system and the last thing I wan't to happen is to mess it up and have to start all over again. I do have a Drive Image image file but again I've never restored from Drive Image. I always used Ghost before with no problems but when I flashed the BIOS on my old mainboard Ghost just went haywire and corrupted everything (it was an old version) so I've put it away. Both Partition Magic and Drive Image came with my new mainboard so are more than likely outdated versions but still workable.

I suppose I'm looking for some assurance that if I elect to create a new partition things will be ok. Be nice to have a friendly face standing behind me when I start so that I can scream 'HELP' if it goes wrong.

In short, how reliable is Partition Magic and do I need to consider anything else?

chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:51 am

Alright this is what your going to need to do.

You need to create 2 partitions. One for Windows XP and one for Windows ME.
You need to install Windows ME to the first partition on the hard drive before Windows XP is installed.
After Windows ME is installed then run the Windows XP install and put it on the second partition.
Windows XP will automatically recognize that Windows ME is on the drive and setup the Boot.ini accordingly for you.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:18 pm

Along with HJ's perfect advice, may I also say that Partition Magic is the BEST partition software out there! I have used it many times, and it is a time, and life, saver. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby chris purkiss » Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:56 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies. From what you say Tolemac I shouldn't have any concerns about using Partition Magic, right?

Hardware Junkie I already have WME running on my system so that's not a problem as I understand the latest OS has to be installed last.

Just need help now on what options I need to choose with Partition Magic to set-up the new partition correctly for XP. An idiots guide would be perfect!!!!

After that I suppose it's down to me to take the plunge!
chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:05 am

if a real idiot, then this will be noncomprehensable- and who wants to help an idiot, as it'll make you look bad as the person will not be able to successfully follow the direction/ skip steps, and get mad that somehow was mislead?!? 8O :roll:

:!: back up data first!
:idea: easiest approach is to add a second hard drive to which winxp is added.

:arrow: :idea: second is to move the partition around (partition magic or other) to free up space for a partition to which winxp is installed- it'll have to be fat32 file system (not ntfs)- you'll have to choose the new formatted partition as a destination while loading xp- it'll probably set up the dual boot config in the mbr of the me dr- os should load up and be done w/ it. think it's generally recommended that you defrag your drive to get all the data at the front of the partition prior to resizing/ adding partitions w/ partition magic- i'd probably try to replicate the same format as i describe below.

:arrow: if you don't mind the extra effort, you can follow this approach- you'll get fresh os installs as well:
other approach is to wipe the hdd clean fdisk to delete existing partition, then create 2 small os partitions (say 3 gig ea +/-), and 2 data partition for each os, then reboot and format w/ fat32 (first partition is primary).
then load winme to first os partition (remove hardware- just enough for min install)- follow procedures same as in building a new system (at os loading phase), then when all drivers are added and no exclamation points in device manager, and win me works ok, reboot and load winxp to second os partition- check that all is ok, shut sytem down- add a piece of hardware previously removed for min install. start system up go into winme and load the correct driver- check integrity when in desktop, reboot, and then go in xp load drivers- repeat until all hardware is added, and all drivers are ok.

read this stuff:
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 924_1.html
http://www.itp-journals.com/search/r1173.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... tiboot.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... 83&GSSNB=1
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby chris purkiss » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:28 am

The USA & England "Two nations divided by a common language"

Idiots Guide in England is literally a simple step by step process, not a mental state, but point taken about being cautious about being blamed for giving misleading info.

I understand the principles behind creating a new partition, even more so after reading the articles you pointed to, but really need specific help in using Partition Magic 6 to create a new partition for XP as Partition Magic 6 doesn't mention XP in any of it's wizard options.

Going through the PM6 options it says

Windows 98 can only be installed to a Primary partition on the first drive whereas Windows 2000 can be installed to a Primary or Logical partition on any disk.

However, to install Windows 2000 there must be an active primary FAT,FAT32 or NTFS partition on the first disk. This partition will hold the Windows 2000 startup files

So if I want to install XP on the new partition do I choose W98 or Windows 2000 and if I choose W2000 do I set the partition type as primary or logical, or doesn't it matter?

I'm not 100% certain that I will install XP, but I'd still like to create the new partition, so ideally I'd like the partition set-up so I can use it either for XP or for data/applications but I accept that if W98 and the partition is set to primary then I may not have that luxury, or would I still be able to use it for data/applications.

Reformatting my existing partition isn't an option because as I said in my earlier psoting I've only just got everything installed after building my new system. Likewise buying a new hard drive just for XP is not viable given the amount of free space I still have.

Should I perhaps post a new thread just to deal with the PM6 question?
chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:55 am

i quoted this, and just might be wrong about only fat32
partition to which winxp is installed- it'll have to be fat32 file system (not ntfs)-

i thought that the mbr of win9x would get messed up w/ the ntfs choice of file system for win2k/ xp? i'm actually looking into setting up an ntfs partition for win2kpro on a multiboot machine w/ win9x, and win2kpro- which are both on fat32. concerned about the security issues w/ fat32 (i-net pop-ups showing my win9x hard drive is a little unnerving!).

not sure on the specifics of pm6- post a specific message if you want to.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby rg560 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:13 am

You can install 2000/XP on a NTFS partition with no problem.
The only downside is that the OS ( 9X ) on the FAT32 partition wont be able to access the NTFS partition.
It wont even show up in win 9x.
rg560
Initiate
Initiate

Postby chris purkiss » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:48 am

This is an update on my progress since my last posting which I think will close the thread.

Found the PowerQuest technical support paper on partitioning the hard disk to install Windows 2000/XP on a Windows 95/98/Me system using PartitionMagic 6. Some elements of this I found confusing having never used PartitionMagic before and being nervous of doing something that might screw up my system.

I then found 2 very useful articles by Vic Laurie on Windows XP/Dual-Booting.

http://pages.zdnet.com/hampsi/articles/xp.htm

This is a description of Windows XP but also covers dual booting and has some useful links.

http://pages.zdnet.com/hampsi/articles/dualboot.htm

This deals specifically with Dual-Booting Windows98/Me with Windows XP and what was of interest to me was that he used PartitionMagic 7 to create the partition needed to install XP.

Of particular interest was that he didn't go down the road of creating the partition for an OS which made the process of creating the extra partition so much easier.

I have now created an additional partition so that I can, if I decide, install XP at some date. I have also realised that PartitionMagic has a lot more tools available to change partition properties than I'd previously realised.

Whatever I decide for the future I think having 3 partitions will provide more flexibility. I will also be less nervous about using PartitionMagic in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments.
chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Operating Systems