Win 2000 Pro changing MoBo and not reinstalling OS

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win 2000 Pro changing MoBo and not reinstalling OS

Postby GibboNZ » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:41 am

Can anyone offer advice on updating my MoBo without reinstalling the operating system and all of the settings associated with this. I have tested a restart but get a "blue screen" telling me that there is an inaccessable boot device. Wasn't win98 a breeze!!!.
GibboNZ
From the Land of Kiwi's and the long white cloud.
Clean green countryside with 3.8 million people.
GibboNZ
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby maddmaxx » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:45 am

More info please. Did the board die? Did you go futzing around in the bios? What are the sys specs?Are you trying to install 2000 over 98' or are you doing a clean install? Have you been in the bios to set the boot sequence. Check and see if hard drive 1 is selected. it should be 0 the default on most is, floppy ,cd,then HD0.
maddmaxx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:06 pm

start>run> type in regedit<enter> double click hkey local machine, and find enum under system (might be enum under current control set)- right click select delete, then when deleted shut the pc down, then install new mb w/ min install as per this guideline (like doing a new install- but you'll be swapping out boards in actuality- good to review anyway):
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 924_1.html
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

More details? - Madamaxx...

Postby GibboNZ » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:12 pm

The existing motherboard has a fault with com port communication. This is documented with the 810 chipset. I have a Gigabyte MoBo with similar specs and wish to swap the HDD to it.
I have looked at the option to delete "ENUM" at the last stage before removing the HDD from the original board but feel this is a bit final.
Interestingly INTEL say a transfer of HDD can not occur at all.
GibboNZ
From the Land of Kiwi's and the long white cloud.
Clean green countryside with 3.8 million people.
GibboNZ
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Wyrm73 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:20 pm

If you delete the registry key and change your mind you can always plug it back into the original mobo and reinstall the drivers for that board.

Whatever you do, be sure to back up your data first.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:20 pm

just back up your pertinent data, and go for it. just make sure the pc is off when working on it, and wear an antistatic wrist strap while working on the system- best to only touch the edges of the pc components. surf the web, and read as much as possible, print out instructions to be certain that the correct procedures are followed (i do this).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Operating Systems