Win98 doesn't recognize Seagate correctly UDMA

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win98 doesn't recognize Seagate correctly UDMA

Postby mleiva » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:43 pm

I installed a new Seagate ST340810A (40Gb, UATA 100, 5400RPM) with
DiscWizard2002, from a Seagate ST310211A (10Gb) with Win98SE, to leave as master the new unit.
The problem is that, made the above-mentioned and position as master, the new disk ST340810A (40Gb) it is only recognized by Win98SE like GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 and it doesn't accept activation of DMA.
The old disk if it is recognized as ST310211A PIO4, but neither as UDMA, although if it accepts activation of DMA.
In this situation, when evaluating the system in PC Pitstop, the result of the tests threw an unusual low performance of the ST340810A.
The BIOS of the motherboard (PcChips M810LMR Rev3.0) it recognizes both HDD like PIO4.
mleiva
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:05 pm

existing hard drive w/ os will be master, and new hard drive will be slave if on same ide data cable- blue end in mb socket, master on opposite end, and slave in between- hard drives should also be on ide1 of mb if only ide1&2 of mb are used (dvd/rom, and cdr/w on ide2). alternate config would be hard drives on raid ports, or a pci controler card, and the cd-rom, cdr/w, zip, ect... drives on ide1&2. determine your config, then follow the respective format.

it's a pcchips mb, so who knows- but the way to potentially correct the id problems is to upgrade the bios (other situation is to be absolutely certain that the jumper config for the master and slave drive is correct)
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

The true problem !

Postby mleiva » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:31 pm

The problem in question is:
Why doesn't Win98SE recognize the characteristic of UDMA of the Hard Disks?
Why, if the BIOS to both disks recognizes them as Ultra DMA, PIO4?

The jumpers and cables are correct.
mleiva
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:40 am

to leave as master the new unit.

not following this- are you saying that the existing hard drive will be the master drive, and the new hard drive will be the slave? this is the way i would set it up.

have you tried to detect your hard drive in bios?

i'd run a diagnostic utility from seagate to test the drives. i'd also verify the jumper settings are correct on the back of the hard drives. i think that it's the bios of your motherboard (m810). have you tried to flash the bios w/ the latest version? how to flash bios (need to get the revision or version # off of the motherboard- the exact match is important in upgrading/flashing your bios- also disable virus protection of cpu when bios flashing, and updating software)):
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... /42_1.html

try to run system file checker: start>run type in SFC<enter> run the program, extract/ replace corrupted files w/ good files from win98se cd as needed. then do a windows update (this is good to do anyway on a regular frequency schedule).

benchmark/ evaluate your system w/ the 2002 standard version:
http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/

i feel that this is a bios issue. try this site's forums to see if they can help out:
http://www.wimsbios.com/

and try this site for specifics relating to pcchips motherboards:
http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q39981 ... index.html

:arrow: :!: :idea: this might give the best advice:
http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html

NOTE: i would recommend exhausting all possibilities before going for the bios flash/ upgrade!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby mleiva » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:17 pm

Len444 wrote: are you saying that the existing hard drive will be the master drive, and the new hard drive will be the slave?

When I said: ".., to leave as master the new unit." , I refer to: "...new Seagate ST340810A (40Gb, UATA 100, 5400RPM)".
It is this HDD that must be as master, which Win98SE only recognizes as GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47; when the correct thing should be: ST340810A UDMA PIO4

Len444 wrote:have you tried to detect your hard drive in bios?

Yes, the BIOS recognizes to both disks, the new (40Gb) and the old (10Gb), correctly as ULTRA DMA, PIO4. That appears in screen during the POST, every time that the PC begins.
mleiva
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:18 am

existing drive w/ win98se left as master, new drive set as slave (assuming that you're just adding a drive on to increase capacity)- period

read this article- will help your udma/pio4 issue 8)
http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html

added after original post (from above link):
Harddrive related questions
26. Why does my harddrive run so slowly on my M810LMR?
In short, you need power management in the BIOS set to "APCI", and you will need 80pin UDMA cables for UDMA speeds. Depending on whether you are using Windows9x or Windows 2000, please read through the solutions to the following FAQs. No doubt you'll find something of use there.

27. How do I get Windows 98 to recognise UDMA for my drives?

Ensure that in your BIOS that your harddrive is detected as at least PIO mode 4 and that UDMA is enabled (if available)
The black boot up screen (before Windows starts) should briefly show your harddrive as it's correct type eg ATA66/100. If not, go no further, and trouble shoot here.
Ensure that ACPI (only) is selected for Power Management in the BIOS
You will also need the 80pin UDMA harddrive cable to access ATA66/100 speeds.
In the Windows Control Panel -> System -> "Device Manager" make sure ACPI devices are present. If they are not, and you see PlugNPlay BIOS instead, remove these and reboot.
Remove any other devices with an (!) next to them and reboot.
If you have a UDMA drive and the device is not listed as Ultra DMA, then delete this device also and reboot. For example my Seagate ATA66 drive appeared as "STA313032A", but after making these changes, and deleting the device, it was detected as "ST313021A Ultra DMA" and now uses the Ultra DMA driver.
Also in the "Device Manager", ensure that the DMA checkbox is checked for each HardDrive/ CDROM/ CDR/ CDR-W/ DVD-ROM that supports DMA/ UDMA/ ATA66/ ATA100 /etc.
Note that regardless of whether your drive is DMA or UDMA the checkbox reads as "DMA".
You can also safely remove the SiS Harddrive controller from the "Device Manager" and use the standard Windows controller (which some believe is just as good or better). When rebooting it will detect the IDE controllers, and you can choose to install the Windows driver instead.
If you have tried all this and more, and still no joy, re-install Windows over the top of itself. This is a quick process, and may work. However, I recommend running a program like HDtach prior, as UDMA often works with the "Generic Type 47" driver.
Sometimes you may have to manually remove your Harddrive devices from the System -> Device Manager in the Windows Control Panel and reboot.
If you use the standard Windows Harddisk Controller driver instead of the SIS HDC driver, you will see "Generic Type 47" instead of the UDMA harddrive, but UDMA should still work.
For those with Windows 2000 or XP, see the next 2 FAQs for greater details
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

new Seagate ST340810A (40Gb, UATA 100, 5400RPM)".
It is this HDD that must be as master

why must this hard drive be the master, and not the existing? the existing w/ the os on it (10gig hdd) should be the master, w/ newest as slave. perhaps i'm not following this correctly- some info left out? are you transfering old os to new hdd as well? both hard drive according to seagate are ata100, so having the larger capacity drive as slave will not affect performance. did the power management/ APCI setting help you (as well as removing from device manager and rebooting the machine and loading the drivers again- looks like the windows instead of sis drivers will work as well. wish you luck w/ this!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby mleiva » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:56 am

Len444 wrote:why must this hard drive be the master, and not the existing? ... perhaps i'm not following this correctly- some info left out? are you transfering old os to new hdd as well?

Yes. I transferred the OS (W98SE) to the biggest new disk.
I want to remove the old HDD to install it in another PC.

Len444 wrote:did the power management/ APCI setting help you (as well as removing from device manager and rebooting the machine and loading the drivers again- looks like the windows instead of sis drivers will work as well

I tried to make it and the HDD "disappeared" of the Device Manager of W98SE.
mleiva
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby mleiva » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:56 am

Len444 wrote:why must this hard drive be the master, and not the existing? ... perhaps i'm not following this correctly- some info left out? are you transfering old os to new hdd as well?

Yes. I transferred the OS (W98SE) to the biggest new disk.
I want to remove the old HDD to install it in another PC.

Len444 wrote:did the power management/ APCI setting help you (as well as removing from device manager and rebooting the machine and loading the drivers again- looks like the windows instead of sis drivers will work as well

I tried to make it and the HDD "disappeared" of the Device Manager of W98SE.
mleiva
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:08 am

have you entered safe mode to do the same in device manager? should do this after same in regular desktop. i've found that there will be a lot of devices listed that do not show up in the normal desk top. good to check out safe mode to clean up the device manager. i've gone into safe mode by holding down the ctrl key (hold down until menu pops up) after first boot screen. i've seen others suggest pressing f8 at windows splash screen- but unsure of that- so i suggest what i currently know. perhaps i'll reboot and try f8 key! back shortly.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to Operating Systems