What do you think about the compress old files in XP??

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is it worth compressing your old files?

Yes
30%
No
30%
Or, do you just not care
40%

Total votes : 10

What do you think about the compress old files in XP??

Postby jmstacey » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:11 pm

WindowsXP has a feature to compress your old files after a certain time has gone by that they have not been accesed. Is there a risk to compressing files anymore? Is it worth compressing your files just to free up more space? How much will it slow down your system, say you haven't played a game in a long time so it is commpressed. How long is it going to take to uncompress in order to be used?

-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby useless comment » Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:38 pm

This sounds like it could be useful in certain situations, such as if a person uses their machine in a business setting and they have alot of old invoices that pile up. If you just use your comp for gaming and net surfing then don't bother with it - rar or zip your stuff on your own time when you think it is necessary.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Phillipste » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:20 am

I used it on my laptop under Windows 2000. It worked great and freed up close to 100 MB. Opening a compressed file did not take a significiant amount of time.

I had lots of spreadsheet and word documents. Many were not used that often but the day I deleted it or removed it was the day I would need it. Since I pride myself on always being prepared I though it was worth it.

The only problem was the first time I did it, it took close to an hour. After that the time were resonable.

On my desk top I occasionally look at the number that DiskCleanup reports. It never shows significiant savings and I have never done it on a desktop. Also for desktops I keep all those files on CD-ROMs.
ANTEC SX1040b case,ASUS A7V333,AMD Athlon XP 2200+ ,Thermaltake Volcano 9
512mb Corsair PC2100,120 GB WD w 8mb Cache,GAIDWARD Geforce4 TI4600,NEC Multisynch A500
Phillipste
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jmstacey » Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:50 pm

The estimate for mine was 1.7 GB. Just wondering the best corse of action.

-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Operating Systems