CPU usage at 100% with nothing running

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

CPU usage at 100% with nothing running

Postby gaviota » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:06 pm

Today I noticed my PC was slow. I opened the task manager and CPU usage was at 100%. The process that uses about 97% of the CPU is called "system" and the owner is the user "system". I tried restarting the PC but the problem persists.
I also tried running Norton Antivirus and Ad-aware to check for virus and spyware, but nothing was found.
I have Windows XP all the updates available from the Microsoft webpage.
Any clues to solve this problem?
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:49 pm

Alot of the time this is a result of a bad driver.
I have seen this for instance when people have installed Sound blaster cards and the drivers they use cause this.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gaviota » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:05 pm

I haven't installed any new drivers. The only thing I've installed this week is a kids game for my 3 year old son. I'll try uninstalling it to see if this game is causing the problem.
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Reader » Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:43 am

I have seen this on systems with communications software installed that will poll the serial ports (or others) to determine if there is any incoming data.

It actually isn't a 100% load, but looks like it on a meter...because the activity is every few cycles.
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Operating Systems