ICS with ADSL on WinXP

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

ICS with ADSL on WinXP

Postby Aussie » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:55 pm

This one's for the record. I recently formatted the drives and installed Windows XP Pro onto two computers on a home network. One of the computers has an ADSL connection through a USB modem and I setup internet connection sharing over the network.

The host computer had no problem at all with browsing or e-mail but the client computer could only connect to Microsoft related sites. Windows update worked fine on the client as well but no way could it load any page other than a Microsoft site (MSN etc.).

I must have deleted and re-installed the network a dozen times in an effort to get ICS to function correctly but it was all to no avail. I tried adjusting the MTU settings until I could ping the host with the "ping -f -l xxxx" command but this failed to get ICS working as well.

By this time I had spent many hours trying in vain to get this system functioning and frustration was starting to show so I abandoned my efforts to come back to it later. That night I did some research into this problem and I came across this little gem.

Windows XP has routing turned off by default. It can however be enabled by a simple registry tweak and this is it:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, Subkey "IPEnableRouter". Change the default setting from 0 to 1 and reboot. Windows XP on the host machine will now act as a router and the client(s) will now be able to access any page on the internet.

This change is only needed on the host and not on the client(s) and you should have some sort of firewall on the host before enabling routing. Two minutes work fixed a problem that I had spent hours banging my head over.

Hope this saves someone else the head banging.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GillianTan » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:52 am

Why would you use ICS though? Get a router. :wink:
My NEW 3dMark score http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4955820
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return...
GillianTan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:12 am

Why would you use ICS though? Get a router.

The answer to that should be obvious. Why pay for something you can get for free. I'm not one of those people that can't think past their wallet when it comes to problem solving. :lol:

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GillianTan » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:16 am

Well yeah I could see that if you dont have the money to use ICS...but its bandwidth allocation sucks and then you always have to keep the hosting machine turned on. Ah well...such is life.
My NEW 3dMark score http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4955820
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return...
GillianTan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:36 am

Different strokes for different folks. This job was not for me but for a paying customer, he had just paid for two WinXP Pro licenses plus my labour to install and configure so if I can save him the cost of a router that's kudos to me. :lol:

The host machine runs virtually 24/7 anyway and with only two machines on the network and an ADSL connection there's plenty of bandwidth to share. It's a perfectly adequate solution in the circumstances I think.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:50 pm

Aussie wrote:
Why would you use ICS though? Get a router.

I'm not one of those people that can't think past their wallet when it comes to problem solving. :lol:

Aussie

HEY STOP FIGHTING U 2 or zero bring out the whip to break it up joking :lol: :D
ya i know i suck at typing
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mark H » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:30 am

Aussie- Good idea, do you think that would work with a cable modem and AOL? Host running XP Pro, AOL Cable modem, and client running Win98?
cable modem on USB, but has NIC capabilities

Did the registry tweak, but still cannot get client to connect. can you point me in the right direction so I try again?
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:24 am

Can you get a USB ADSL router? I have searched here in the UK to no avail. Modem sharing works fine though, but as Gillian Tan say's it is a bit slow!
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Operating Systems