For all you networkers!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:32 am

suppose sometimes it's whatever works. wonder why the SB card would need irq 11, wheras the CM card would take irq 5- would this be configured by the card manufacturer?

seems that the CM card picked the correct IRQ:
http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/IRQnumbers.asp

i just remembered something that might work- in bios disable plug and play os, which then lets the bios handle IRQ (unless irq's are signal related to the specific cards?)- might/ might not have worked (for adding a card to the system- not changing irq while leaving a card alone).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Mr T » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:03 am

The reason why I realised it was the MAC address was the fact after each LAN card appered a # and a number, refering to a network ie network 1,2 and so on, and I couldn't get back to number 1. There were no IRQ conflicts, everything seemed fine that end (one of the first things I thought of).Anyway thanks for all the input I'm off to play with my new RADEON 9700pro :D
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby ether.real » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:15 am

That is kinda odd because i got 2 NIC I swap between, using same IP. I have the setup as LAN1 and LAN2 and I disable whatever I am not using. I also found that after setting shares and rebooting, it would not stick unless I disabled Norton AnitVirus, rebooted, verified the share stuck, re-enabled NAV, then rebooted again.....
ether.real
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby feto » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:13 pm

hey mr. t
how's that new radeon workin???
is it worth the money?
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:38 pm

That RADEON...................OOOOOOH, baby, works like a dream. I would wait though until prices start dropping (ie when nVidia release Geforce 5).
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby feto » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:12 pm

whoo......its gonna be a while for nvidia to release gforce 5
but i'll wait...
readeon 9700 is most probably gonna be my next buy
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to Operating Systems