For all you networkers!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby GillianTan » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:34 pm

Mr T wrote:No computers seen, all sharing protocols set, all modem share, removed and reinstalled TCP/IP, still no joy!

What do you mean all modem share? What kind of device are you using to connect them together?
My NEW 3dMark score http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4955820
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return...
GillianTan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby gamepyrate » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:52 pm

Okay so you can share the internet through the hub/switch/router whatever, but no results when you ping another computer's ip. have you Checked winipcfg (i think it's called that on XP) on both computers and make sure they have diff. ip adresses?
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:26 pm

OK, if the computers cannot recognize each other then there is definately a problem with the settings. You said you have checked the workgroup name on all the machines so that is not the problem. Second thing I would check is to insure that the all have unique IP addresses, and that the first three octects on each are the same. For example I use 192.168.1.(whatever) on my network as this is kind of the standard for home networks. The next thing is all of the machines have to have a unique computer name. If these are all set OK then the machines should at least be able to see each other.

The next thing you might be having a problem with is the sharing permissions for the drives on each machine. If you go into the drive properties and look under the sharing tab you will see the network sharing info. If the share name has the drive letter followed by $ then the drive is hidden on the network. The easiest way to clear this is to select the do not share option then click OK. Then go back into the sharing tab and select to share the drive and it will unhide it by default and all you will see is the drive letter in the share name.

Hope this helps. Let us know if not.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby dell_m_m » Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:52 pm

I have the exact same prob on my dual boot 98/win2k pro system. everything works ok in 98, but nada in 2000. I've use both the same settings in 98/2k (comp name - static ip - shares - drive sharing) and different ones (name and ip). Internet sharing works on 2k but not peer to peer. :cry: I have 4 systems on my home net. The other 3 will see my system when in 98 but not in 2k.

Hope this info helps.
Smile at everyone and they'll wonder what you're up to!
dell_m_m
Black Belt
Black Belt

lan

Postby tismee » Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:06 pm

switch buggered ?

I also have xp pro and other pc have other OSes, i used the wizard, made the disk and used. it worked fine.
tismee
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:34 pm

Problem solved. It appears XP assigns the static IP address to the the MAC address of the LAN card. When you swap LAN cards you cannot use that IP address with the new LAN card without releasing the IP address 'cos XP won't allow.
I swapped mobos to an ABIT IT7 with onboard LAN without realising this so I've got rid of me old LAN card to another PC which I've sold, so I don't know it's MAC address. I then assigned my original IP address to the new LAN card which it prompted me with a warning, which I said yeah, yeah ,yeah to and hit 'ok!' . Stupid me it conflicted 'cos there were 2 MAC addresses assigned to the same IP = no network.
Any way to cut a long boring story short, tried to release the IP address which somehow screwed up my ADSL connection so I said !@@#+** to it and did the deepest format possible, put XP back on, used my old static IP address and everything works!!! :D
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Wyrm73 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:31 pm

I haven't ran across that problem with XP even though I have reused static addresses with different NICs. Something to keep in mind if I do run into problems in the future.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby peterwilsonjones » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:13 pm

Mr T,
I run a network (2 pc + 1 Mac). The only difficulties I have experienced (not counting how you may have wired up the LAN) were I/O conflicts with other add-in cards.

Get this: When I originally set up my network I couldn't get it to work- like you. Pulled most of my hair out in frustration.

My network card appeared (in the Device Manager) to be working properly, but it turned out that I had a "hidden" conflict with the SoundBlaster card. I changed the SB sound card to a Crystal Media and PRESTO! Network was up!

You could try removing non-essential cards - especially sound - one by one (and remove the drivers for them at same time). Reboot and try network each time. Hopefully that will isolate your problem.

Cheers, Pete
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it wear a snorkel and flippers".
peterwilsonjones
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:37 pm

I changed the SB sound card to a Crystal Media and PRESTO! Network was up!

just curious, did you try to remove drivers/ hardware for SB sound, then reinstall to reload drivers- or did you just switch cards?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby peterwilsonjones » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:14 am

I removed the drivers too.

The SB card would quietly disable the NIC every time it was detected as new hardware, with or without drivers. The SB card wanted IRQ 11 - the same as both fast NIC's I have, where the CM card was happy to take IRQ 5, which was unused anyway.

Do you think there might have been an easier solution in my case?
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it wear a snorkel and flippers".
peterwilsonjones
Green Belt
Green Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems