Remove Log-Off choice on start button?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Remove Log-Off choice on start button?

Postby Tachy » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:20 am

I have windows xp-home edition, and also use Tweek-UI for windows xp. The tweek program has a checkbox for removing the log off choice from the start button (at least I think that is what it is supposed to do). Yet when I click and unclick it, even with rebooting, or re-logging on, it does not seem to have an effect. I have found similar registry changes which you can do manually, and have tried them, and they do not seem to work either. Is this possible on Windows xp, home version? (not that it is a big deal, but I am just curious why it does not seem to work)
Tachy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:38 am

have you tried to contact the people that make/ develop tweakUI? perhaps this is a small item that was overlooked, you are having problems w/ it, so they might want you to cantact them (how software development sometimes works)
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tachy » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:05 am

But it is not the program, it is windows xp, since I have tried manually editing the windows registry file as stated in other "tweaks" type web pages, without success.
Tachy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ab630 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:56 am

Get a program called Xteq Systems X-Setup, you should of heard of it, it's quite popular. I run WinXP Pro and I used it to get rid of the Log Off on the Start Menu.
ab630
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:29 pm

Also try redownloading TweakUI (Windows XP version). If you are using the WIndows 98/Me version, that would explain a few things.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tachy » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:50 pm

I am using tweaks for XP. And as I said, I do not think it has ANYTHING to do with with program, since if I edit the windows registry file manually, to add the statement NoLogoff and insert a value of "1" as it should be to get rid of the logoff, it still shows a log off choice on the start menu.
Tachy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:09 pm

I am actually having a similar problem with this workstation I am on right now. Windows 98SE and I installed TweakUi to get rid of the arrows over the shortcuts...
That won't go away either...
But it works on the machine in the next cube from me...
And the systems specs are a dead match.

I think I might just get this thing base lined...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thestonecutter » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:15 pm

Len444 wrote:have you tried to contact the people that make/ develop tweakUI? perhaps this is a small item that was overlooked, you are having problems w/ it, so they might want you to cantact them (how software development sometimes works)

I'm pretty sure Tweak UI, no matter which OS it's for comes as is, and there is no tech support for it at all, you just use it at your own risk!

:D
4 meg of RAM
512 k/b Vid Card
20 Meg HDD.............OH YEAH!!
Thestonecutter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Wyrm73 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:30 pm

With XP you have the option of two different logon screens. You have the classic logon and the new grapical logon. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice to switch to classic. (Hint: this is the way you log in as the administrator 8) )Hit Esc to switch back. Is the logoff option gone from the classic?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tachy » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:12 pm

I am using the classic start menu............and cannot get rid of the log-off prompt at the bottom. That is the problem.
Tachy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Operating Systems