USB problem

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

USB problem

Postby blackadder » Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:44 am

A little bit of help would be appreciated.

Running Windows ME, 2 usb ports on the computer nothing attached to them. When I go into Control Panel / system / device manager / usb. we have the dreaded circle with the question mark/ exclamation mark inside it I take it this shouldn't be there.

How can it be cleared we have trried to reload the usb drivers from Win ME cd but to no avail.

Cheers B.A
blackadder
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Happen » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:02 am

I had the same problem when i loaded me on my pos, it seems that me put the usb ports on the same IRQ as other system devices, see what is on the same IRQ as the usb ports.
Happen
Initiate
Initiate

do they work?

Postby Tablesawed » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:12 am

It sounds silly but I have seen usb ports not recognised that do work. If they dont work, try the microsoft knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com there are many Many things that can kill a usb port. :twisted: Dell had a conflict with one of its expansion cards that killed the usb ports (was supposed to be fixed with a bios flash) :twisted:. Also it could be the obvious the ports really could be dead. And fianally :!: :idea: get rid of win ME :idea: :!: get 2000 or Xp. Good luck
Just because your not paranoid dosen't mean they're not after you.

If you are reading this thank a teacher, since it's in English thank a soldier.
Tablesawed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:18 am

i don't have winme, but do have win98se, and win2k, so as the process is almost identical, i would have to believe that this will work!

right click my computer>properties> device manager- locate usb and open and highlight each usb entry, and select remove- remove all your usb devices, then shut computer down (or restart)- you'll be prompted to load drivers for new devices found, insert winme cd, and load the drivers- (change source to cd (try this first to have the comp locate the driver), or other which you will have to browse for, locate cd drive then scan for winme usb drivers- though not specifically sure)

some variables might have to be attempted until the drivers load correctly- if not , then repeat the removeal process- and try again- other people might be more specific, but until then, this will get you started in the right direction.

btw, when i started to 'compose' this post, not a single reply was there, but after entering, 2 appeared- 16 minutes later- man i spend too much time doing this
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:52 pm

You probably have a chipset that the Win ME CD does not have the correct drivers for. Post the model number of the motherboard and then we can point you to the drivers for you specific chipset.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

USB Problem

Postby blackadder » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:16 am

Wyrm, or anyone else.

It is MS-6178 Micro ATX WH5 Mainboard. If that means anything.

Cheers B.A.
blackadder
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:53 pm

Blackadder, do you have the board overclocked??? I had a MSI MS-6366 that caused problems with the USB ports when Overclocking...just something to look into.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Wyrm73 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:18 pm

Well there goes my theory. The correct drivers for your chipset are included with ME. What do see when you click on properties for the USB in device manager? Is there any conflicts shown with other devices or any other error messages?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Operating Systems