Windows XP Setup errors.

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Setup errors.

Postby Kabe » Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:03 am

I had windows XP Pro installed on my last pc.

i just upgraded my motherboard to a A7V333 without RAID and my processor to an Athlon XP 1800. also i got 256MB DDR 2700 instead of my SDRAM

when i try to load my old windows install i get all sorts of blue screens and other errors.

i fugured this could be normal for a new setup... so i tried to install anew version. i am getting this stop error when it is on the Loading Windows part fo the setup (just after it has loaded all the drivers) '0x0000007E'

PLEASE help me. it says i should disablel caching, shadowing and things in the bios. i have flashed the bios to 1011 (latest version) and have tried to diable L1 and L2 caches but with them both diabled the pc wont start right and it still dosnt work with only the L2 cache disabled. i have taken off all my other cards and disabled USB in the bios but none of this works.

thank you in advance.

Steve
Kabe
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Wyrm73 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:07 pm

If I am reading you correctly, you changed the mobo, CPU, and RAM but are trying to plug in the hard drive from the old combination without re-installing Windows. This will not work. You will have to do a fresh install of Windows to make things work right. What you need to do is format the hard drive and start a new installation.

There is a way to change the mobo without reinstalling windows, but you have to delete the appropriate registry key before you shut down with the old mobo. If you have already started up with the new mobo, I don't think that even this will work. Might be worth a try though. The directions for this technique can be found here.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:00 pm

Just install XP over the top,should't have any problems. But if you get another blue screen with that error code your RAM might be incompatible with that mobo.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Kabe » Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:28 am

it was the ram. my old instllation works fine now.

sending ram back. cheers for the help guys :D
Kabe
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Operating Systems