Stupid dos program won't run.

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Stupid dos program won't run.

Postby jmstacey » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:35 am

We have a network between four 95 and 98 computers and 1 XP that was just added. We had the network set up to basically run this dos accounting program(its actually the latest version to which is kind of funny)and it worked fine for that. After we got out XP computer to communicate with its older friends we added the program shortcut to the desktop so it would run off the server like all the other computers. When we tried to run it an error came up saying "program configuration invalid"
We can't make it simulate like a dos program because when we went to the compatibility tab it wouldn't let us change it because it was on a network drive.
Is there anyway we can get around this to get the program to work on our XP computer off the server?

Thanks!
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:53 am

Install Win 98?
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby jmstacey » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yeah right, the point of adding the XP system was because we are going to go through each computer and upgrade to xp, but don't have the money to do them all at once.

-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:09 pm

XP is a pain to network 'backwards' to win98,95 and dos. When I did it I found it very hit and miss (more miss). I could ping all 5 stations in dos but I could never get the XP sation to communicate with the win98 ,95 stations.
All my systems are now upgraded to XP, but as usual some older apps and games won't run!
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Wyrm73 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:42 pm

Could it be that the file permissions on the server are not allowing you to run in compatibility mode?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Operating Systems