linux help

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:57 pm

I am not to the point of modifying sytem files yet either. I took a beginning Linux class in college and we did some of that, but only under supervision. I am trying to learn more on my own, but so far I have only played with Mandrake and Red Hat. Just trying to help with the limited knowledge I have.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:27 am

feto - the code I posted could (or should be able to) be installed on your system (with the appropriate changes specific to your system) and written to the MBR. Then at boot up you would get a menu asking you to choose the operating system you want to boot to. You shouldn't need a floppy to do this although it can be done this way if you don't want to mess with your MBR. You would write LILO to your boot floppy to accomplish this.

By the way, most of the info I can provide works on SuSE and in general should work with other flavors as well. It's just that on other flavors there may be slight differences in writing the code or placement of files. For general information go to http://www.tldp.org/ - There you can find short articles, How-to's and other valuable information. For specific information on your particular variety of Linux, go to the documentation that came with your distribution. If you open a shell and type (without the ") "man lilo" you'll get information on how to use LILO and what all the different pieces of code in the config file are about and how to use them.

After you have done that, if you need more help let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Good Luck 8)
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Noggin » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:18 am

I just got a new hard drive this past Tuesday and wanted to put Linux on as a second boot option.

I installed WinXP in the first 110 gigs of the primary master, and wanted linux in the remaining space of the same drive. I finaly got around to installing Mandrake 9.0 Beta yesterday afternoon.

It took FOREVER to install because my damned CD drive kept stopping and wouldn't respond for ANYTHING. If I hit ctrl-alt-backspace, it'd drop me to a terminal windows and I'd see the install process keep on quereying (sp) the CD drive and it wouldn't respond. Eventually, after aboug half a dozen tries it fully installed.

Lilo installed itself automatically in this version (9.0 Beta) and set itself up by itself. I accidentally uninstalled it, so I had to use a floppy to keep swapping MBR until I got it working again.

The file I had to edit was in /etc directory and named lilo.conf You can type "emacs /etc/lilo.conf" to edit it. To exit emacs, hit ctrl+x then ctrl-c... I don't remember the command to save, someone else might though. But if you can't get Linux to boot, this probably won't help you.

I think you need to have Lilo point to either hdb (hard drive b) or hdb1 (hard drive b partition 1), maybe hdb2 if you have a swap file set up there for linux as well. I wanted my second physical HD mounted for linux to see so I could share files from XP to Linux, and it was either hdb or hdb1, don't remember which. Anyway, when you are done playing with the lilo.conf file, you have to install lilo (I'm pretty doggone sure) so it'll change the MBR, do that by running "/etc/lilo" or just "lilo" if you are in the /etc directory.

If you can't get into Linux at all, try 9.0 beta. It was easy for me to set up, and I'm a total newb, and I'd guess that it'll set up lilo for you automatically. It did for me, but I played with it too much and broke it so I had to fix it.
A rectangular bear is just a polar bear after a coordinate transform. - I dunno who
Noggin
Initiate
Initiate

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:56 am

Yes Noggin - once you edit the /etc/lilo.config file you have to re-install it. ANY changes you make that pertain to LILO you have to re-install it. But you want to be careful because sometimes you don't want it on the MBR, you want to put it on your boot floppy. You only do what you said when you want to write it to the MBR. And yes it will be hdb but the number will depend on how you set it up when it's installed. Every system is different and you really need to write down how you are configuring the partitions when you install the system for future reference. If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I posted a lilo.config file that anyone should be able to edit and apply for their own system. But LILO will have to point to wherever your partition is on your system.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Noggin » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:10 am

yeah i meant to mention and make reference to your post, but I had to go set up a couple ATM's
A rectangular bear is just a polar bear after a coordinate transform. - I dunno who
Noggin
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:12 am

yo noggin, that is one hideous lookin avatar there- some kinda freak or what!?!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Noggin » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:57 am

Hey! Be sweet! Just cause my nose is lopsided it aint no reason for you to say I look like a freak :cry:

In actualtity, someone just took the eyes and mouth of a chimp and put it on someone elses face. I didn't do it though.
Noggin
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:28 pm

whoa, you must be the missing link :!: 8O :P
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Previous

Return to Operating Systems