linux help

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Wyrm73 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:59 pm

Windows boots up automatically because that's what the boot loader in the master boot record tells it to do, not just because it is on the master drive. The operating system is usually on the primary channel and the master drive, but it does not have to be.

OK, go ahead and install both hard drives as master and slave if they are not already there. Then install Linux on the slave hard drive. You will not need to reformat before doing this. When it gets to the part about partitioning, do it manually and delete the old Linux partition and then redo it.

During the installation, you will have the option of installing a boot loader (GRUB or LILO). If you install it on the boot hard drive (Win XP drive), it will display a choice of which operating system to boot into when you start the computer. The other option is to not install a boot loader, in which case you will need the boot floppy or it will automatically boot into Win XP. Somewhere during the installation process you have the option to create this boot disk, but I have only installed Mandrake once so I don't remember exactly when it does this.

Hope this helps. If not post again and we'll keep trying. I know you can dual boot with Linux and XP as I have done it before. We'll get you there.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:01 pm

i will try formating and installing linux again....but to tell you the truth....i dont know how to format with all those linux commands....does it really matter if i format with win 98 or ME startupdisk??

you actually DO NOT use the win98se boot/ start up disk to format the hard drive FOR LINUX- it is actually used ONLY to fdisk/ partition (fdisk stands for fixed disk, which i believe means to set a portion as a disk or drive or partition) the hard drive, then when you start to load the linux os, you'll format w/ the included formatting program- you can use linux to create the partitions as well. redhat 7.3 has disk druid for formating, and setting up the swap, boot, root, ect..., it also includes it's own version of fdisk.

i actually had a lot of questions as well while setting it up. i found that in using win98se boot disk, i could not completely remove the linux partition/ format from it, i actually went back into linux set up to use it's version of fdisk to completely wipe it clean to start over- if possible, use the linux fdisk to wipe your linux drive clean.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:33 am

Wyrm wrote:Windows boots up automatically because that's what the boot loader in the master boot record tells it to do, not just because it is on the master drive. The operating system is usually on the primary channel and the master drive, but it does not have to be.

OK, go ahead and install both hard drives as master and slave if they are not already there. Then install Linux on the slave hard drive. You will not need to reformat before doing this. When it gets to the part about partitioning, do it manually and delete the old Linux partition and then redo it.

During the installation, you will have the option of installing a boot loader (GRUB or LILO). If you install it on the boot hard drive (Win XP drive), it will display a choice of which operating system to boot into when you start the computer. The other option is to not install a boot loader, in which case you will need the boot floppy or it will automatically boot into Win XP. Somewhere during the installation process you have the option to create this boot disk, but I have only installed Mandrake once so I don't remember exactly when it does this.

Hope this helps. If not post again and we'll keep trying. I know you can dual boot with Linux and XP as I have done it before. We'll get you there.

Wyrm - I don't know if this will work for him because he's not using a partition on one drive, he's using two different drives. He would need to figure out how to tell LILO in the MBR to look at another HDD to find the Linux OS. That's why he's getting the message he's getting when he tries to boot from floppy. The LILO on his floppy is only looking at the Master drive to find the OS and it's not there.

I could be wrong about this but I don't know if you can set it up to work the way he wants it to. I don't know how he would go about telling LILO that it needs to look at the Slave drive for the OS. Yes you can boot from a floppy and yes you can set up a dual boot system but I think both OSes have to be on the same physical drive. I've never heard of anyone setting up two separate hard drives using a boot loader, only partitions. Like I said, there's a good possibility I'm wrong on this. If I am, someone post the procedure on how to do it so we can all learn something :wink:
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:09 am

but I think both OSes have to be on the same physical drive

no, absolutely not! i've got 3 oses on three hard drives on a controller card:

win98se master, win2000pro slave (ide1 cont card), and linux red hat 7.3 on a third drive (ide2 of cont card)- wyrm is right.

i'm still a little weak on this- perhaps i need to redo my linux partitions, and set it up again (be a masochist and repeat a dozen times!)- repetition/ reinforcement/ proficiency :twisted:
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:05 am

Thanks Len444. Then answer this - How do you set LILO up so you can have your choice as to which drive to boot into? I have wondered if this can be done for a long time because I'd like to set up one of my machines that way. I have a machine right now that is dual boot - WinME and SuSE Linux but they're both on the same HDD. I'd like to put 2 HDD's into this machine and put the WinME on one and the Linux on the other.

How would you configure LILO to do this?
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:05 pm

i think it is actually the same- picture this- two partitions on same hdd (2 fixed disks on same hdd), or two hard drives (2 fixed disks on seperate hdd's)- it's just a matter of setting up correctly to the right destination partition. from what i've learned, it just a matter of installing the oldest os first, then following w/ newer, doing linux last (linux on first 1024 cylinders= approx 8gig of hdd- though there is (i think) called forced lba to get it set up past 1024 cyl).

i am by no means an expert on this subject though, but hopefully i've presented an accurate picture from what i've learned! check out http://www.linuxiso.org for info on distribution, burning cd's, and check out their forums for q&a.

How would you configure LILO to do this?

should be in the manual- redhat 7.3 has grub and lilo- so you can choose which one as well- the default settings actually set itself up to multiboot w/o using a floppy (think boot loader goes to mbr- floppy boot would have bootloader go to floppy- but not sure if this is accurate- check the manual print it out- i did odd #, then flipped over and did even # at printing so that i could get 2 sided printing- then i set it in a folder for easy retrieveal- write down all your drive info in your manual, so that you can retrieve the info).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:53 pm

Everything in Linux is really just a file. Even the way hardware is treated is just a pointer to a file. So no, it does not matter if the partitions are on the same physical drive or not. Each partition is treated as a separate device and as such points to the appropriate file.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:18 am

Yes, I'm aware that everything is just a file. You just have to know which file. On my WinME/Linux machine in /etc/lilo.config I have it set up so it gives a choice of OS on boot. Here's my lilo.config file (this is for SuSE Linux 7.3):

boot = /dev/hda (boot = /dev/fd0)
vga = 791
read-only
menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
prompt
timeout = 150
message = /boot/message
default = windows

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label = linux
root = /dev/hda6 (root = /dev/hdb6)
initrd = /boot/initrd
append = "enableapic vga=0x0317 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
optional

image = /boot/vmlinuz.suse
label = failsafe
root = /dev/hda6 (root = /dev/hdb6)
initrd = /boot/initrd.suse
append = "disableapic ide=nodma apm=off"
optional

image = /boot/memtest.bin
label = memtest86

other = /dev/hda1
label = windows

Assuming that you want the default to be Windows and Windows is on hda1 (because it would always have a number even if it's the only thing on there) and Linux is on hdb with root = hdb6, feto would have to set his up via the changes I have above in red only with his partition info (I think). Let me know if I'm correct guys.

feto, are you getting any of this? Like I said before, this lilo.conf file is for SuSE Linux 7.3 but yours should be similar. You will probably have to tweak it a little because I haven't tested this file (I don't have 2 HDDs in it yet, I just edited the file I'm currently using to point LILO to a 2nd HDD containing Linux.)

Any comments guys?

Edit: I also have the boot line revision set up to boot from floppy. The way it is originally it boots from the MBR on the HDD.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby feto » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:01 pm

i am trying to follow you guys....but when it comes to manually editing linux I dont understand what all those commands are all about.... I understood some of it though..... I have no problems installing linux on a hdd......so i will do that again see if it works.... I should eventually be able to have one hdd with windows and the other with linux......I have done this before and when I booted normally...the pc would go into windows....but if i put the boot up disk for linux...it would go into linux .....I know it can be done..... its just that i upgraded to a bigger hdd and did the instalation again..... just that this time it wont work... i'll try several things and keep you guys posted....thanks to y'all
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:19 pm

Each partition is treated as a separate device and as such points to the appropriate file

thanks for the explanation/ clarification!

btw, i couldn't give advice on reworking linux code at this point
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems