linux help

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

linux help

Postby feto » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:09 pm

when i try to boot linux mandrake from a floppy iget this error message:

Mounting root filesystem
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,1).
Mount: error 22 mounting ext2 flags freeing unused kernel memory: 712k freed
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

does anybody know what this means??.....
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:36 pm

Just to clarify a bit: when you say boot from a floppy, I am assuming that you have a dual boot setup and use a floppy to access the Linux partition. Correct? If so it sound to me like the boot floppy is not set up properly or the Linux partition has gotten screwed up.

VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,1).
IDE0 is your boot hard disk and the (3,1) refers to the partitions if I remeber correctly.

Has this Linux installation ever worked or is it a new install?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby feto » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:48 pm

i have two hard drives in my pc....one with win xp and the other with linux.... when i want to use linux i have to disconect the ide cable form the win xp hdd....and set the hdd with linux to master......because the boot floppy wont let me boot up and gives me that error......when i disconect the hdd with win xp and run linux...it boots ok.....i created the boot disk in linux but i dont know why it doesnt work....should i uninstall and install again....
also....i cant get internet acces with linux......dont know why
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:51 am

I don't quite understand why you are trying to boot from floppy. Are you trying to boot while your WinXP drive is plugged in? If so that's your problem. Unless you set it up in LILO to do that and then I'm not sure if you can do it with 2 physically separate HDDs. If you had a partition on one HDD it would work. That's how I have one of my machines set up (but I don't boot with a floppy - I wrote LILO to my MBR).

Your Internet connection could be alot of things and we'll need more information. What kind of modem are you using? Does it have it's own controller chip on it? If it's a Winmodem it probably won't work. If it's not a winmodem, it could be a setting for the modem is incorrect. More info please.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby feto » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:40 pm

yes i have two physical hard drives one with win and the other with linux......so you are saying that i cant boot with a floppy to linux???.....i saw the LILO settings in linux.....but what do i have to set it up to???.....

about the internet connection.....i'll have to get back to you on that....the netcard is a dlink and i understand that linux does support that card...when i go into the settings fot the internet...i presson the connect to internet and it cannot connect....i'll try it again....and give you more info....what i really want to fix first is that booting process because i'm not using linux because everytime i have to use it i have to disconnect hdds and everything.....so...i'll wait for your post on that...thanx
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:57 pm

Yes, you can boot Linux with a floppy. I have personally set up a dual-boot machine that used a floppy to boot to Linux. If you did not use the floppy it would boot to Win2K. It just has to be configured correctly.

If you have two physical drives I would suggest an IDE switch or set them up in a removable tray. This way you can switch without having to open the case. This would simplify things greatly as you can cofigure each drive to boot without having to mess with a floppy or switching cables or jumpers.

Check out Kingwin removable drive trays and Nicklock IDE selector. There are many other brands to choose from, these are just two examples.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby feto » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:59 pm

what do you mean by "configured correctly" according to me it is setup correctly......
and i dont understand what do you mean by ide switch...or removable tray.....i have a hdd bay....but to acces it i have to open the side panel and disconnect the hdd w/win .................
is there a specific way you set up the boot diskette???
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:51 pm

As for the drive tray and IDE selector, check out the links in my previous post. They take you to product pages that show you examples of both.

As for your configuration, you can set the drive up to boot from the hard disk or from floppy. The boot loader (LILO) resides in the master boot record and points the way for your BIOS to load your operating system. When you installed Mandrake, you set up where LILO was placed: on the boot hard drive or on a floppy. This configuration can be changed, but I'm not sure how to do it as I am still learning Linux myself. The easiest way I can think of is to reinstall Linux.

I'm still kind of puzzled why you are booting from a floppy at all though and why you have to disconnect the hard drive with XP. Can you boot Linux at all without it? Perhaps if you could give us a little more info about what you did when you installed Linux, which was installed first (Linux or XP), etc.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:17 am

i'd start over, and wipe the linux drive clean (linux fdisk), set it as slave, and be certain to format w/ either ext2 or ext3 (if supported by mandrake- supposed to support additional processes)- be certain to set up the root file, boot, and swap (and other as necessary)- i actually fdisked w/ win98se start up disk to set up partitions on drive, then i set the linux partitions, and formatted w/ ext3- follow instructions for your config preferences.

multiboots should be covered in the mandrake manual

generally win os's should be installed first prior to linux

careful w/ formatting- write down your partitions for linux (i think that the win98 fdisk w/o format method help visualize formats, so that when in linux set up, it'll show)

btw, i'm really new w/ linux myself- installed redhat 7.3- supposedly mandrake is quite similar, but not sure

win 98 boot disk:
http://www.bootdisk.com

linuxiso.org:
http://www.linuxiso.org/

multiboot how to (or follow mandrake manual- floppy boot is simplest- but you should be able to set the boot loader in the mbr or floppy as you prefer):
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/multibootlinux/
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby feto » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:25 pm

ok here it goes from the beginning..... I have two physical hdd's ......one of them has windows xp and the other one has linux mandrake. I have the windows xp hdd setup as master and linux hdd on slave... when i turn on my computer....windows xp loads up because it is set to master......what I want to do is boot to linux without having to set my linux hdd as master or without having to disconect the ide cable from the hdd with windows. (so win xp wont boot) i understand that i can do this by booting from a floppy.........if i do this....i wont have to change jumpers or disconect ide cables......i hope this makes things clearer......
i will try formating and installing linux again....but to tell you the truth....i dont know how to format with all those linux commands....does it really matter if i format with win 98 or ME startupdisk??
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Operating Systems