Reaching windows partition from linux

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Sick_Boy
Initiate
Initiate

Reaching windows partition from linux

Post by Sick_Boy »

I am using red hat linux 9.0 and win xp together on my computer. I know that windows can't read the linux file system but is there a way to reach my windows partition from linux? (my windows partition is formatted in fat file system)
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by dallascisco »

You have to mount the fat partition you want to view.
Sick_Boy
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Sick_Boy »

dallascisco wrote:You have to mount the fat partition you want to view.
And how is it done pls?
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by EvLwMn »

From a command line you type:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dev/mnt

vfat may need replaced with msdos

hda1 assumes your windows partition is the first partiton on the primary ide drive

/dev/mnt is where you are mounting it. You can mount it anywhere you want as long as the directory exisits.

I usually mount my stuff under /media/(drive name)

For instance I mount my secondary hard drive under /media/hdb
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by kokalo »

This also assumes that you are using FAT32 file system on your WinXP partition.
NTFS support under Linux is not always reliable - don't leave things to chance.
You should also be able to reduce the /usr partition to a minimum and simply use your "data" drive/partition as data storage space accessible from both WinXP and Linux (if FAT32, that is).
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n272/napz-co-nz/kokalo-FS2b.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/sabrewings/fft.gif[/img]

P3! (No, not PIII)
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by EvLwMn »

Well you can view NTFS under Linux with no problem. The problem comes in if you want to write to your NTFS partition from Linux. That's when it's not reliable and frankly not advisable. It can bork your data - and your Windows install.

I would suggest doing what kokalo said - if you need to write to a partition that is viewable/writable from either OS set up a separate partition as a FAT32 partition. That way you will not only be able to view the data there from Windows or Linux - you will also be able to write data from either OS.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by miki02131 »

You could also make use of third party drivers and be able to share all windows file systems with Linux file system vice versa. I recommend Paragon software if I recall well.
[b][size=150][color=red]Help humanity[/color][color=green] .....join the[/color]
[color=purple] Motherboards.org[/color]
[color=green][url=http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/jehovah/Main3.html][i] folding team! 33258[/i][/url]
[/color][/size][/b]
S33K3R
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by S33K3R »

miki02131 wrote:You could also make use of third party drivers and be able to share all windows file systems with Linux file system vice versa. I recommend Paragon software if I recall well.
that is true but it is not recommended to do this
Sick_Boy
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Sick_Boy »

I can already read-write to the windows partition from both OSs. Why have a third partition? Is it safer or something?
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Hardware Junkie »

Sick_Boy wrote:I can already read-write to the windows partition from both OSs. Why have a third partition? Is it safer or something?
If you accidently change a file on the Windows partition, it may make your Windows partition inoperable.
Also its entirely possible for Linux to "mess up" in the mounting process and screw up the FAT32 partition.

Also I should mention that both FAT and NTFS are not always supported navtively by the kernel. Most cases require a kernel recompile but it seems like the developers for your distro were thinking ahead.
[i]"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier[/i]

[url=http://www.windowfarms.org/][img]http://homegrown.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/window-farm-iconic3-150x150.jpg[/img][/url]