The Next Windows O/S?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

The Next Windows O/S?

Postby The Disturbance » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:10 am

Do anyone know what the next O/S is and/or what it will be like?
The Disturbance
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:33 am

Rest assured that the latest and greatest will be the fastest way to play Solitare, or winmine, and it will be crash proof (by the 2nd service pack). :)
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby wolverineman85 » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:59 am

What about Freecell and Hearts??? :lol:
wolverineman85
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:44 pm

The next version of Windows XP is supposed to be a horror story.

Open GL is supposed to be removed completely. Everything has to use Direct X or it will not work.
You will not be able to use free software unless it has a special key or something that they get from Microsoft, to be approved to run on thier OS.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:29 pm

I can see the logic behind it. I mean if Microsoft did approve it, then they could guarentee 100% comaptibility and that kind of crap...which would be good from a stability point of view...

But overall it would just suck for freeware and such...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby useless comment » Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:46 pm

How dare they dictate to us what we can run on our own computers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate M$ as much as the next guy, but they can do pretty much whatever they want with thier software. Nobody has to use it. Does an operating system that hasn't even come out yet put food/prevent you from having food on your table? Does it take out the trash? Does it make sure your kids get to school safely? Will any of those answers change when it does come out?

Another thing. What companies do with thier software is entirely up to them. Should you get all worked up because you can't rip an mp3 with Photoshop or edit your wedding video with Unreal Tournament? Should we all take Chrysler to court because the new Neon doesn't come with a free big screen TV?

Microsoft has around half a dozen OSs that are still fairly viable. There's about half a million Linux OSs out there(maybe overstating a little there). Why do people complain about not having any choice? The same reason they will buy a $3000 computer at Best Buy or Gateway that already had one foot in the grave the day it came off the assembly line.

If you don't like:

Windows, try Linux.
Intel, try AMD or VIA.
Nvidia, try ATI.
Corsair, try Crucial.
Photoshop, try Paint Shop Pro.
CuteFTP, try FTPVoyager.

If you are not willing to try then it's your own fault. Only a fool takes what he's given.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:33 pm

Beautifully stated Sodsm. Not only should you explore other options, but by supporting alternatives you force Redmond (or any other software maker for that matter) to listen to their users and keep their prices in check. It might take a while, but it will happen. If not, natural selection will eliminate them.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby useless comment » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:24 pm

Thanks Wyrm, I try.

BTW Anybody else notice something odd with this thread? In the thread list I see that it had 13 replies but there were only 7 and it says there is a page 2 but there are no posts when you click page 2.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:05 am

I have been deleting flame based replies. This forum is not for pissing on OS...it is for valid discussion, tips, tricks, and support of operating systems. OS flaming should take place in The Hundred Year War Forum.

If this forum denegrates into mainly a flame war arena I will remove it.

So I had to delete a bunch of posts from this forum.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:44 am

sodsm live wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hate M$ as much as the next guy, but they can do pretty much whatever they want with thier software. Nobody has to use it.

Well unfortunately, that's where you are wrong - Yes, M$ can do whatever they want but most people HAVE to use it. Unless you want to build your own computer (which face it, not everyone has the technical ability or even the desire to build their own) Microsoft Windows comes already installed on every pre-built computer they sell. So unless a person wants to learn how to format c: and find another OS and learn how to install it, they're stuck with whatever the whim of M$ is at the moment.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Operating Systems