Help With Linux

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mastermind635
Green Belt
Green Belt

Help With Linux

Post by Mastermind635 »

I have hooked up an old comp and wish to try linux on it, because to be honest i hate windows. Anyways, i have set my sights on Red Hat, but the problem i have is getting it. I cannot afford to buy it right now, because money is very tight for me, so i went to their website to download it but the problem there is that i have to do it through ftp, but i have no idea on which files to get, so could someone please help me out in downloading the latest version of red hat linux.

thanks,
Adam
Mastermind635
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Mastermind635 »

I have th following linux files from their website, but i am not sure what to do with them.

shrike-SRPMS-disc1.iso
shrike-SRPMS-disc2.iso
shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso
shrike-i386-disc1.iso
shrike-i386-disc2.iso
shrike-i386-disc3.iso
inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by inteljunky »

you want to burn the last 3 isos you got there
use a burn program like nero and choose burn image.... and select the first file, then burn the second one and so forth

DONOT just burn the file, cause then you will just have a .iso file, and not all the nice contents inside the iso
Mastermind635
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Mastermind635 »

Ok, Thank You i was wondering what happened because i burned them, but i did not burn the image, i just burned the file.
Mastermind635
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Mastermind635 »

I have the latest version of Nero Burning, but i dont know how to burn the image to a disc can someone help me.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by len444 »

Mastermind635 wrote:I have the latest version of Nero Burning, but i dont know how to burn the image to a disc can someone help me.
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
Mastermind635
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Mastermind635 »

Thanks for the link, but i figured it out before u posted that. I am happy to say that i am installing linux as i am tping this post, so thanks for all your help.
Mastermind635
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Mastermind635 »

I have got linux on my system now, but my problem is configing the internet. I dont know what device to put since i use the onboard LAN on my Abit NF7-s can someone tell me how to set up the internet.

thanks
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by len444 »

you need to spend some time with the redhat documentation (rtfm)! :lol:

hopefully the abit's lan chip is well supported? it's probably just a matter of redoing your network config properly to get it to work.

i'm 100% certain that my first linux installs didn't have networking configured correctly. i know i reinstalled it a lot until i figured out what i was doing. i did print out the redhat install guide to have handy during installs.
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Hardware Junkie »

[i]"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier[/i]

[url=http://www.windowfarms.org/][img]http://homegrown.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/window-farm-iconic3-150x150.jpg[/img][/url]