Windows keeps booting into DOS mode

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Windows keeps booting into DOS mode

Post by Mr T »

What would cause win98se or win ME to continually boot into 'DOS mode', and give you the option to boot into windows but won't. Can boot into SAFE MODE, and running MSCONFIG can disable various start up items, but it won't boot into windows normally.....

Any ideas? :lol:

May have found it (2 Customers different OS's, same problem)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... see.b.html
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by miki02131 »

I would speculate:

1- A corrupt system file: command.com or Msdos.sys
2- A virus
3- A dammage drive sector

Corresponding Solution:

1- Grab a fresh copy of command.com and/or a fresh copy of MSdos.sys and replaced the existing ones. If this doesn't work get a 98 setup floppy, boot the system with the floppy and execute Sys c: at the command prompt to rebuild the entire boot sector.

2- Used a virus emmergency floppy disk to scan the system at boot up.

3- Run hdd recovery utility to possibly fix and recover any damage sector. One suitable utility for your case is SpinRite. It runs at the dos level and doesn't require windows to function.
[b][size=150][color=red]Help humanity[/color][color=green] .....join the[/color]
[color=purple] Motherboards.org[/color]
[color=green][url=http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/jehovah/Main3.html][i] folding team! 33258[/i][/url]
[/color][/size][/b]
J.C.GARCIA
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by J.C.GARCIA »

can you run the system file checker fron the safe mode :?: . if so try it
p4 2.4b 533mhz fsb
epox 4bea2
768mb ddr pc2100
radeon 7000 64mb w/tv out
120gb seagate hard drive 7200rpm
40gb seagate hard drive 5400rpm
live 1024
dvdrw lg gsa 4040b
cdrw btc 48x16x48x
xp home
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Hardware Junkie »

miki02131 wrote: 1- Grab a fresh copy of command.com and/or a fresh copy of MSdos.sys and replaced the existing ones.
There are settings in msdos.sys that make it boot into console, as apposed to windows. But typing WIN should allow normal mode to boot. If it doesn't then you are having OS issues.
Follow the above advice already provided. It looks solid.
[i]"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier[/i]

[url=http://www.windowfarms.org/][img]http://homegrown.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/window-farm-iconic3-150x150.jpg[/img][/url]
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

The size of MSDos.sys file, when set for only command prompt, is about 9 or 10 bytes. The system file to boot into Windows OS must be 1680 to 1700 bytes (view the file to see the reason..1024 bytes required for MS-Dos). When the {sys} command is evoked, the files to begin the OS are placed on the Hdd or Fdd, and the MBR is rewritten to cause a pointer to line the MSDos.sys and IO.sys files. You can copy a MSDos.sys file from another similar OS and get the system to boot properly. When Windows installs, it automatically changes the size of this file for system boot. Using the MBR command may also resolve a non-boot condition. Use a floppy boot disk, and evoke the {fdisk/mbr} command. Only works on a HDD. Make sure it is the same version!

Need a viewer for files or editing, or COMPLETE file copy? Don't trust Windows to do a complete job. Go to Ghisler.com and look for Windows Commander. Best bargain software for the pro or semi-pro. Works perfectly with all Windows platforms. Can be configured to your design. Also does FTP/ITP and group rename of files. Can edit pix files, too.

Good luck.
KHM
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

It's named Total Commander now and I couldn't do without it. Got my full recommendation on that one.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

fdisk/mbr failed to work as did sys c:...... Believe it is a virus, three systems, two with win98se and one with winME from different customers al exhibiting the same error related to EMM386..

Only fix (after many, many hours :( :( :( :x )of trying things is too reinstall the OS from scratch...

Sooooo keep your virus dats upto date , and your firewall as well as backup those important files like your address book etc....

There has been a massive increase in viruses recently, that is all we seem to do now...... :cry:
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

If you are sure your system has a virus, and it cannot be removed with anti-virus software or going to the provider's URL for a scan, then you have only one alternative.. a size 14 shoe in a size 5 keester. (Barn-door flyswatter?) Best way to ensure that you have removed a virus is to do the FDISK routine.. remove ALL partitions, and check that they are gone. Blank disk. Then, shut down the system for at LEAST 15 seconds. With the power supply on ATX type systems, the power is never really off. Pull the plug! The PS has +5volts going to the memory bank.. a virus could remain there in limbo, and come back to life! No partitions, a virus cannot exist. On restart, do your FDISK routine and sys command.
Do a reinstall with KNOWN clean boot disk or CD program disk. After the first normal run, then install the anti-virus program, update it if required, and then do the reinstall of other programs. Some viruses are "trojans" or "stealthy" and hide from the forefront. Strangely, there are very few 16-bit viuruses around today. Almost all are 32-bit or NTFS format, plus Linux (a few) and some Mac-system types.
The money spent on a good anti-virus program and firewall is never to be regretted.. your system will thank you!
KHM.