How to kill mouse click sound in win xp?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How to kill mouse click sound in win xp?

Postby Silver Shark » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:51 am

I have recently upgraded to win xp, and now when I am on the internet I get this annoying click sound whenever I click on a link. I have looked around to try and disable it, but I can't figure it out. :( It's just a little annoyance, but if anyone knows where to turn it off I surely would appreciate it. Thanks!
Silver Shark
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Black Wolf » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:57 pm

settings -> Control panel -> Sounds -> sound events

Should be there, somewere if you can not fidn ti turn the scheme to "no sound"
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm

This is all I can find on the subject on here... so what happens when you turn the sounds off, select none for all the Explorer sounds, save the scheme under a different name, click apply, click OK... and every time it defaults to the irritating click noise whenever you click a link / open a window, whatever?? New install - and this is yet another problem I've never come across before. It's only my computer not the other three new installs in the house. It wasn't doing it before - in fact, whenever I reinstall Windows the first thing I do is go for No Sounds. Usually it kills the whole lot, but this time it hasn't...

TIA

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

If you disable the sound feature for mouse clicks or keyboard clicks, that should stick for the OS setup scheme. But another program may be playing nerdy with you.. such as an ISP program. Or, within the choice panel for sounds, there may be another feature confused with the mouse action.
Try disabling all sound associations, and see if you still get the clicks. If so, then it is another program that needs to be brought in line with the whip. If no proper conduct, then bring out the cat-o-9-tails.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 am

I keep going for no sounds, upon which all the sounds are gone. If I then go back to it, they're still gone apart from the windows explorer clicks. So I manually uncheck them... and when I go back in they're still there.

I've never had this problem before - normally once they're gone they're gone. But it's still clicking on all IE pages / links and WE windows as well ;-( driving me nuts.

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Start Navigation sound.........make sure that's off. Try just turning that one sound off, and save it that way under whatever sound scheme it keeps popping up as. That's the particular sound, anyway. Dunno if that will help.

I wonder.........when you did these new installs, what versions of Flash do you have installed? I noticed with the last Flash Player patch, quite a few websites now have a button click sound on Flash-based animated buttons.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Ooh - what happened to my reply??

Let's try again...

I've done that several times already - for some reason Windows just doesn't seem to remember to disable the WE sounds. Don't think I've actually got Flash on this computer yet.

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Well, I've fixed it, but someone's probably going to tell me I've done a terrible thing...

I went into the media folder in Windows and deleted ALL the sounds... so it can select a click for the Navigation all it likes - 'cos there's no click there :-)

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:00 pm

:D :D :roll:

Actually, that was an idea, I had to do that with Win 95, for some reason I couldn't get the startup sound to disable.

That reminds me, I have to disable update and warning sounds in Avast. Lt Uhura there just about blew my head off the other night. Forgot to turn the volume down.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Oh my, yes... if my kids have been on my computer when I've been out and turned the volume of the speakers up...

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to Operating Systems