Problem with Windows Crashing

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Problem with Windows Crashing

Post by Mr T »

Atheros driver issue, which I suspect is down to the operating system and possibly the issue with USB. I would be tempted to replace the power supply, it either might be failing or not powerful enough to drive USB on that board (poor 5v rail).
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by OneSpirit »

What watt p/s do you think I should have for this rig? :-|
Main Rig_Intel i7 [email protected]
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64/Linux Mint 19.3
Rig2_AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MSI Gaming B350
16Gb DDR4 2133
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 550TI
Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB SATA 7200RPM/WD M.2 2280 250GB
Inland 600 P/S
Win7 64/Linux Mint 19.3
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

Inland is not a power supply manufacturer I have heard of. It probably is OK, but could be faulty and swapping it out may resolve the USB issue (you could swap it with the one in your other rig, rather than buy another). 600w is good for what you have. As I said previously, I would get a minimum 240Gb SSD to put windows on and use the 4Tb for storage. I would definitely ditch windows 7 now, it is a dinosaur of an operating system now and driver support will be limited - you may find the Ryzen setup is too new for it and not playing nice in some unknown way (motherboard boxes usually say Windows 10 ready which gives you a good idea of compatibility)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

nuff said. replace the thing. now.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... y.2031802/
The OEM is Leadman/POWMAX. Purveyors of exploding power supplies.

There's something fishy with Micro Center's specs for some of those PSUs. E.G. The ILG-600 PSU label clearly shows that the +12V rail is rated for a maximum of 36 Amps. Micro Center states Combined +12V Rating: 600 Watts (50A). There's a tremendous difference between 36 Amps and 50 Amps.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by OneSpirit »

Wellsir ... I finally got this BSOD problem solved. It was definitely the third party drivers. First for some reason Comodo and this new processor and mobo didn't get along. Its drivers were causing a problem, so I had to uninstall it completely with a AV removal tool. I install AVG to replace it. Next, the USB wifi adapter drivers were causing the machine to crash. I could not find a updated driver for it, so I had to replace it, with a PCI card. Next the chipset drivers were causing problems so I had to uninstall them. I went to the manufacture's site and got the latest chipset drivers and I found there were hotfixes that had to be installed too. After all that the computer still crashed. Turned out it was the driver for the PCIe USB 3.0 hub card I installed. I had to go the the manufacture's site and get the latest driver for it. Now the machine is stable again ... so far. Finding someone to read the dumpfiles was key in finding out what drivers were causing the problem. I had to run the windows driver verifier to find which drivers.
Hope this helps someone else. :? :-|
Main Rig_Intel i7 [email protected]
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64/Linux Mint 19.3
Rig2_AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MSI Gaming B350
16Gb DDR4 2133