Windows and After

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Windows and After

Post by c327 »

Is Windows 10 the last operating system for Microsoft with something else taking its place as a service ???? like maybe a pay as you go ????

With what I spent for my Sager laptop I think now I should have went with a Mac.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Windows and After

Post by Karlsweldt »

Rumors pro and con to what the "afterlife" of Windows will be. Some indicate that no longer will an OS be on a computer, but only in "the cloud". Other rumors suggest that maybe another version, maybe better or worse. Yet other obscure rumors that Win 7 may have an extended life, being superior to Win 10! Wish some program designers would follow the "KISS" rule.. 'keep it simple, snoopy'. And all those useless software bundles should have an OPTION as to being installed!
Deleted your double posting entry.
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by Roach412 »

I fully expect there will be an OS-as-a-service option in the future - but locals won't go completely away altogether. There are still considerable hurdles to simply "port" everything a local windows install can do to a cloud environment. You'll most likely need a new laptop before that becomes a reality.

-R
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

Microsoft missed the boat big time in creating a mobile operating system that could compete with Android, iOS and Mac OS. And of course they are pricing themselves out of the market - who needs to pay when there is enough free opensource stuff from operating systems to media editing out there. It would not surprise me at all soon, the only way to get M$ Windows is by buying a windows device...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...