Realtek on-board audio low on one drive, ok on the other, sa

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Realtek on-board audio low on one drive, ok on the other, sa

Postby videobruce » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:23 am

This is NOT the typical low audio out problem with Realtek chipsets which can be mostly fixed with tweaking level, balance & eq. settings. I researched that.

This is on a single PC (tower) with two bootable drives, both running Win 7 from the same original image. The only difference (if you can call it that) is one drive is a SSD, the other a HDD. The 2nd bootable drive is used as a backup. This problem is a good example why I have this.

The MB is Gigabyte and it's the on board audio chipset that is being used. No other audio. This is using software for playing back mp4 files (LA Player, Pot Player & VLC Player). Doesn't matter which software, nor does it matter which mp4 file, one one drive the audio is fine. The other, the level is down anywhere from 10 to 20 db! I'm using the line level audio out into a int. amp into a pair of bookshelf speakers. Nothing fancy.

I have updated the driver, but there as no change. It can only be some hidden O/S issue somewhere, but I have no idea what or where. Since everything is the same, the only differences are the system files, possibly including the registry, but that is a long shot. I have been trying different player softwares and I wonder if one of them made some 'hidden' change to the O/S somewhere that it affects the system globally past the user controls.

Any idea here??
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Re: Realtek on-board audio low on one drive, ok on the other

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Same proper audio driver program in both OS setups?
Possible some other program is changing the settings.
Check the Control Panel/Sound to see if the same driver version and type are used.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:54 am

They did have the same driver, I updated this one, but no change as I stated.
Yes, I figured 'some' program 'changed' (past tense) something (a file or codec), but of course, no idea what or where.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:40 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 am

The current interface is difference, but most of those functions are there in one form or another.
Problem is, nothing enables the 'stereo' pair allowing any additional gain.

But that isn't it anyway since those were never touched in the 1st place.

Thanks anyway, I never tried any other config other than 'stereo' since that is all I have here.
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Operating Systems