Win10 file system?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win10 file system?

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:16 pm

How do I setup a new installation of Win10?

I want to install it on a SSD drive, while my other drive a HDD will be for media & games, etc.

What file system should I use to get most out of each drive? ntfs, fat32, other?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: Win10 file system?

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 am

FAT32 is not an efficient system, but is 'universal'. Commonly found on most flash drives and external storage media. NTFS is more efficient, and preferred by Windows OS.
Win 10 (and earlier versions) should default to NTFS for installation, but can be done with FAT32 if preferred.
Do the install on just the primary drive, register the OS, then add other storage drives, format/assign, and then programs.
Some older programs may not be compatible to NTFS.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:01 pm

:? So I should install the SSD drive first? Then install Win10 using the NTFS files system, register it. Once Win10 is setup, install my HDD, format, etc. OK, sounds good. Thx, :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:58 am

yep, bet practice is to only have the OS install drive hooked up when doing the first install/build. you can put in HDD, just leave either the data or power connector unplugged until after you've completed your windows install, and then plug in and go through the disk management utility to identify, name and partition your HDD.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 pm

The basic install of the OS, using the resident firewall and 'essentials', should protect the system from minor hacking and malware. Drivers next, then registration. Then next would be the preferred, purchased anti-virus and firewall program installation. Have only one firewall program active, or there could be some bucking as to which is primary. Then a preferred browser that is more efficient and secure than the resident one! Set as default.
Next, those unending updates from Microsoft Update Center.
Now the joy of adding a secondary programs drive. Keep the root entry simple, using folders for different features or needs.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:The basic install of the OS, using the resident firewall and 'essentials', should protect the system from minor hacking and malware. Drivers next, then registration. Then next would be the preferred, purchased anti-virus and firewall program installation. Have only one firewall program active, or there could be some bucking as to which is primary. Then a preferred browser that is more efficient and secure than the resident one! Set as default.
Next, those unending updates from Microsoft Update Center.
Now the joy of adding a secondary programs drive. Keep the root entry simple, using folders for different features or needs.

Some of my preferred:

Free AVG
SpyBot S&D
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
CCleaner
Mozilla SeaMonkey
Mozilla FireFox
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Win 10 will only format to NTFS.. A large hard drive over 120Gb, use NTFS (unless using linux use ext4, or Mac, use the Mac Journaling system) FAT16 and FAT32 are only used on usb flash drives now, unitl you get a 128Gb one, and then thats a different matter. To get round some of these hurdles, exFAT was developed. Never format a USB drive in NTFS.

Be very careful with CCleaner on win10, it can cause issues...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 am

Mr T wrote:Be very careful with CCleaner on win10, it can cause issues...

How so? Is it anything that can be avoided with careful usage?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 am

Windows 10 is supposed to manage itself (ha-ha) by cleaning stuff out (purging caches, old files, unused extensions and so on)... I used CCleaner one time, usual tick all boxes, run it, deleted about 1Gbs worth of tosh, then ran the registry checker, deleted and fixed a few files. After doing that system ran lik crap. So, defragged the disk, running windows hard drive checker.. Still ran like crap... Ran SFC and that solved it, so must assume CCLeaner removed something it shouldn't have (I believe it was something in prefetch)..

This is what M$ said back in 2015:

Microsoft itself doesn't seem to like CCleaner either. A company executive has recently had an unexpected reaction when asked about the app:

“CCleaner is… how do I put it mildly… Don’t… let’s just move on!”

In fact, Microsoft itself is now recommending users to stay away not only from CCleaner but also from any other registry cleaner on their Windows 10 devices, claiming that they could impact system performance and reliability.

“Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application.”

I now run CCleaner once in a blue moon, usually when FF starts running slowly.. No issues since. I am now on v 5.24.5841 (64Bit) and I have the remove prefetch data boxed ticked as well!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Mr T wrote:I now run CCleaner once in a blue moon, usually when FF starts running slowly.. No issues since. I am now on v 5.24.5841 (64Bit) and I have the remove prefetch data boxed ticked as well!

That's how I run it, when I use it. It's the last thing I run. It's mainly the excess browser settings I flush out.

Thx, :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Operating Systems