Windows XP Reactivation

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Reactivation

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:42 am

Hey guys its been a long time since I've been on here but I need some help on a Windows XP reactivation. I've had this machine since 2004!! and for some reason a message has popped up saying windows needs reactivating and despite following the instructions to the letter the reactivation process keeps ending in an error. Before anyone asks, this is a genuine Microsoft instillation and I have the key. I have according to the message 3 days to reacivate.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Re: Windows XP Reactivation

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:48 pm

Good to see you are still with us!
Perhaps the firewall is blocking access, but the XP version of IE is no longer accepted at most sites. Firefox or another default browser would be a good idea. Your system should have SP3 installed to be viable.
That reactivation bit coming up may be due to a device or feature that was not part of the original install.
I still have two active systems with XP, one 'main' and one 'reserve'. Then the Win7 setup for F@H semi-dedicated.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:21 am

Hi Karl,

I tried different browsers but it was still a no go, I also read somewhere else that it can require reactivation if the hardware changes but the only thing I've changed was to fit an NVidia card in it about 5 years ago (it came with built in SIS graphics)! So in the end I resorted to a registry hack. The PC, one of the very few I didn't build myself had all the updates until WinXP support ended in 2014.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby MariaDPetiiford » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 am

Hey, guys, I think it's a bit irrelevant, but I hope you can help me. Have you heard about this software "webwatcher"? This is a spy application and it seems like my phone is infected with it. Do you know how to remove it and find out whose job was it to set it? That would be highly appreciated.

Edit: removed link to insecure site/service.
..Karlsweldt.
MariaDPetiiford
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 am

Re post by MariaDPetiiford:
Not the appropriate topic for that thread, but allowed this time.
Best would be to contact the phone provider, get the OS version and type, check if they have a solution.
A fault with smart phones and similar is that we install "apps" that may seem innocent, yet are malicious.
https://www.cnet.com/news/malicious-sma ... ng-device/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems