Windows 10 Account Password & Lock Screen

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10 Account Password & Lock Screen

Postby c327 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Have Widows 10 Pro x64

I have a Microsoft account with a user name and password also a password for the lock screen. Ran into a problem today. I opened my Microsoft Account and downloaded an App. I ran the app fine and shut down. When I restarted the PC I entered my lock screen password which was different than my Microsoft Account password and it would not open. Some how my lock screen password is now my Microsoft Account password ?

I have been trying to revert to my original lock screen password but it won't let me said it had already been used :(

How can I log out of my Microsoft Account and still keep my lock screen password?

Now since I was trying all this my lock screen is showing what looks like a second account which I apparently created some how ?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10 Account Password & Lock Screen

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:58 am

No help with password problems on the Forum, unless of a general nature to all types.
Best advice is to contact the provider of that app, check what can be done.
Or revert to a known-good restore point.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:14 am

This is worth a read.

Note this bit:
Bottom line: If you're not planning on using the Windows Store or any of the apps, avoid a Microsoft Account at all costs. Most of the apps are junk anyway.

If you wish to use no logon password and have your computer boot directly to the desktop, click Start, type "netplwiz", press [Enter], and untick Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:46 am

Karlsweldt wrote:No help with password problems on the Forum, unless of a general nature to all types.
Best advice is to contact the provider of that app, check what can be done.
Or revert to a known-good restore point.

I know that. I know all my passwords. Not asking how get around passwords which I already know. I have since figured out and corrected the issue.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:07 am

Mr T wrote:This is worth a read.

Note this bit:
Bottom line: If you're not planning on using the Windows Store or any of the apps, avoid a Microsoft Account at all costs. Most of the apps are junk anyway.

If you wish to use no logon password and have your computer boot directly to the desktop, click Start, type "netplwiz", press [Enter], and untick Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Been very busy and some times I just have to walk away from this stuff for a few days. Prior to reading your reply I had done what you suggested and it worked. But wasn't that just a work around? Doesn't MS still have their claws around this issue? Do I need this MS account in order to use my MS paid for programs, mainly Office 2016, Word 2016 & Outlook 2016 (set for gmail)?

Yes that is what I was getting at and not circumventing passwords. The pop-ups was making me think that I needed a Microsoft account in order to use Windows 10 Pro. I had purchased Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 that included Excel, Word 2016, Outlook 2016, and Power Point maybe one other program ($161. US). When I went to install them I believe I had to enter my MS account information which I had to create I believe. It seems that after I had all the MS programs installed this PC kept referring to me to log on to my MS account.

The less I have to do with MS the better I like it. I don't visit or purchase anything from the MS Store that I don't need to run the few MS paid for programs.

If I cancel my MS account will my MS programs that I paid a lot of money for still work?

Thanks.............
Last edited by c327 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:16 am

c327 wrote:
Mr T wrote:This is worth a read.

Note this bit:

Been very busy and some times I just have to walk away from this stuff for a few days. Prior to reading your reply I had done just what you suggested and it worked. But wasn't that just a work around? Doesn't MS still have their claws around this log in issue? Do I need this MS account in order to use my MS paid for programs, mainly Office 2016, Word 2016 & Outlook 2016 (set for gmail)?

Yes that is what I was getting at and not circumventing passwords which I know is not permitted here. The pop-ups was making me think that I needed a Microsoft account in order to use Windows 10 Pro. I had purchased Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 that included Excel, Word 2016, Outlook 2016, and Power Point maybe one other program ($161. US). When I went to install them I believe I had to enter my MS account information which I had to create I believe in order to activate those new programs. It seems that after I had all the MS programs activated & installed on log in to Windows this PC kept requiring me to log into a different account which I had not knowingly created. What B.S.

The less I have to do with MS the better I like it. I don't visit or purchase anything from the MS Store that I don't need to run the few MS paid for programs I have installed.

Thank you for you help
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Operating Systems