Windows 10 updates ??

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10 updates ??

Postby c327 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:25 am

The wife's Windows 10 x64 laptop and not been used in a while. Went to update Windows and it took 4 or 5 hours to complete and I have fiber optics internet network speed of almost 8.0 Mbps download speed.

Just what was this update ??? Was this a service pack ??

OK I see it... Build 1607 seems to have major flaws. I will pass on this update for my other PC and will try to roll back this update on the wifes PC if I have trouble with it.

Never did like W10 right from the get go. Still like XP Pro even with all its warts.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows 10 updates ??

Postby Mr T » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:52 am

Build 1607 is the anniversary upgrade, ploshes a few things.. No problems on any of my systems. Took a while to download and around 2 hours to complete the upgrade. There are no service packs anymore, just build upgrades...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Mr T wrote:Build 1607 is the anniversary upgrade, ploshes a few things.. No problems on any of my systems. Took a while to download and around 2 hours to complete the upgrade. There are no service packs anymore, just build upgrades...

My wife's HP laptop took a good 4 hours via wireless connection on my network. Her HP only has a i5 CPU and not much memory to jump up and down about if any of that has to do with the length of time it took to complete the update??

I came across a website that said Kaspersky's anti virus utility does not get along with this Windows 10 update. I was thinking of getting Kaspersky and use it in place of Windows Defender ? I did note that after this update I had to re do some of the computers display settings. I looked to see if there was a date of what I read but there was none.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Windows defender is enough, but I use malwarebytes for backup, no nasties yet! (BTW ploshes=polishes, keyboard finger mash!).. The only thing I had to alter after it was installed was the fastboot option - I disable it on all my PC's as it causes issues and win 10 boots fast enough without it enabled.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:26 am

Mr T wrote:Windows defender is enough, but I use malwarebytes for backup, no nasties yet! (BTW ploshes=polishes, keyboard finger mash!).. The only thing I had to alter after it was installed was the fastboot option - I disable it on all my PC's as it causes issues and win 10 boots fast enough without it enabled.

With my iPad I make the same typo's often. I thought ploshes was a new European word :)

I think I noticed something a little different with the splash screens when booting or shutting down. Have to take a look a little later ...... It's 4:30 AM here in Florida..... Going back to bed.

I have Malwarebytes Premium installed on two PC's. I think I read that Windows Defender was a rebadged anti virus utility from another company?

Fast Boot ????? I think I saw that some place.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Operating Systems