Windows 10.. "User Fee" Coming?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 10.. "User Fee" Coming?

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:07 am

Noted a news item from Forbes, may be a rumor, may be in truth.. Windows 10 may incur a "user fee" in the near future.
No specific details if the OS itself will incur fees for use, but the news refers to "enterprise users" and "cloud service". May eventually apply to home users?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 00d417dfab
For months Microsoft has been describing Windows 10 “as a service” and now we know why. Microsoft is going to introduce a monthly subscription fee for Windows 10 usage…
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Windows 10.. "User Fee" Coming?

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:40 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Noted a news item from Forbes, may be a rumor, may be in truth.. Windows 10 may incur a "user fee" in the near future.
No specific details if the OS itself will incur fees for use, but the news refers to "enterprise users" and "cloud service". May eventually apply to home users?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 00d417dfab
For months Microsoft has been describing Windows 10 “as a service” and now we know why. Microsoft is going to introduce a monthly subscription fee for Windows 10 usage…

Well if this does end up happening to the home user I probably will have to rethink my home computer use as I don't see me paying a monthly fee. I bought a hard version of W10 Pro a while back and still have it unopened and not used? Still very happy with XP Pro x32 on one of my laptops. My other two have W10 Pro x64.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:15 am

It might be a good time to start thinking about planning on dumping everything Windows. Microsoft knows they have a lock on millions and millions of users of Windows anything and probably figure it's time to go all in. If they do I will go all out.

Look what has happened to smart phones. You can't buy them outright at a discount anymore, got to rent them and over the time of the cost of the service plan you would have paid full retail for that smart phone you probably can do without.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:09 pm

Seeing only the Enterprise and the Student versions are going to be ad-free after the centennial update: I'm out. For work I'm on windows 7, at home I'm on OSX/linux. My windows machine was shut down a few months ago: I don't seem to miss it.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 am

Using the enterprise model for costs is jumping the gun prematurely. There's simply no way they'd implement that kind of pricing scale for standard home use...it's entirely too expensive for probably 95%+ of the user-base.

My expectation is a tiered approach with "I want to log into my computer and go on facebook" kind of pricing(i.e. a buck or two a month) and then up to maybe 5$/month for power users who want to unlock specific features/etc. A service-provided OS with feature selection options is massively powerful and adaptable.

I think Microsoft is ahead of the game in this kind of user environment. Providing Windows as a service is a much more agile and future-driven model which is simply the way things will be in the future. They were just a bit too far ahead of the game when they tried to do this similar model with their xbox games a while back. The idea is solid, the model is exactly what it needs to be, but they just need to be very selective where they try to extract their value out of consumers...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset