DMP Ebox 2300SX

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DMP Ebox 2300SX

Postby Mr T » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:55 am

Really old (circa 2007) embedded PC with a Vortex86 CPU (300Mhz). I have finally got an operating system on it - Puppy Linux for Ebox 2300Sx. very slow, but now useful for embedded operations. Further specs are 128mb of RAM, r6040 LAN, 3 USB 2.0 and 1 CF port and an internal 44 pin IDE slot.

To boot from a USB CDROM at the first boot prompt (boot:) type in puppy PMEDIA=usbcrom
To boot frim a USB FLASH drive type in puppy PMEDIA=usbflash

I have installed it to a 1Gb IDE DOM, formatted in ext2 with no swap (not wholly necessary with Puppy linux as it runs in RAM) leaving 700Mb free.

I post this as I am really over the moon to get this relic going as a) It requires a 3 pin mini DIN 5v 3~4A power supply which is really, really difficult to find! b)I found this on the Puppy forum which was an immense help as I tried Debian 'Etch' from the command line which didn't go well and c)to get it online....

It will make a good CUPS print server, low powered NAS, music server etc...

Very very happy!!! :D :D :D :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Operating Systems