Fedora Linux -OLD ver.!!!! Fedora8 !!!!!

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Fedora Linux -OLD ver.!!!! Fedora8 !!!!!

Postby sirrushx » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:59 pm

:) OK -back again Fellow Computer Heads!!! ,This is the First tyme I posted about software &its issues ,,regrettably .But first the Hardware stuff!!!!! :o

OK -here Is the story ,on my Windows XP box
<home built of course> [color=#804000] Using a IBM MObo (pentium4 Northwood with 512 mb Sdram ) 1 cdrw 1 dvdrom/ cdrw 1 floppy and 2 IDE pata Hdrives , 1 soundcard (creative ) 1 Vid card (gEforce agp) . [/color] 350 watt sparKle powersupply. It works ok with "swapped" XP Hdrive froma DELL unit. <damn lucky!!!>.20 gig it is. Sound &video is OK!!! :oops:

So i Installed Fedora 8 I had sitting around onto a 120 Gig Hd as a Cable select Drive on the Primary IDE Channel (BOTH drives are set on CS as far as I can remeber ). SO I installed Fedora via a DVD and used the TEXT method (not gui -to do some custom partitioning. i WAS ABLE TO DO A succesFULL dUAL BOOT SETUP ON THIS THING!!!!

mY ONLY PROBLEMS -quibbles-annoyances are -I can,t get the soundcard to work under XINE <video player> :? I installed this XINE via a USB drive - somehow it installed !!! { alot of other RPM,s -WILLNOT INSTALL INTO THIS fedora OS ) I guess due to its somewhat Proprietary Construction/nature.

I was told on a another LINUX board I could use the RPM -i command to accomplish things.

Would anyone here have any experience with the RPM issues I have????????
regards -stusirrushx
"If There was any Economic Justice In this United States We live In , We would All Be Driving Hummers & Eldorados & Magnums and Gasolene would be 10 Cents A gallon !!!"
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Fedora Linux -OLD ver.!!!! Fedora8 !!!!!

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Anything is possible.. sometimes!
As to that Creative sound card, depending on model, older ones may require an IRQ of 5 or 7 to work.
Newer ones use a higher cascaded IRQ, perhaps up in the 20s range. Maybe only a proper driver set is needed.
'Only' 512 megs of system RAM? Maybe not enough to load all the OS files for normal needs. Can the motherboard accept a full gig of RAM? Even Win XP would be stuck in low gear.
The Linux forum may have recommendations..
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-ha ... blems.html
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirrushx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:04 am

HMMM 512 mb ram -i would be stuck in Low gear !!!! :twisted: Ok -I admit its a little dated !! y last TOWERPC had 768 mb ram but only 135 mhz bus speed !! ( overclocked that vIA 69tas Mobo!!) I trashed that MOBO!!!

Thanks for the Reply -Karlsweldt!!!!

regard stu sirrushx :)
"If There was any Economic Justice In this United States We live In , We would All Be Driving Hummers & Eldorados & Magnums and Gasolene would be 10 Cents A gallon !!!"
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Just how much "extra" can be gotten out of that old motherboard? Check what FSB speed is at hand, if 400/533 then a bit limited. But if 533/800, then maybe a better CPU model. A lot of older boards might not accept a Prescott version, but a Northwood is better than a Celeron. The more L2 cache on the die, the better the performance.
I still (occasionally) run an old Slot 1 Blaster tower, 600 P III with Win 98SE, strictly for command prompt and older games.
And I will run Win XP for as long as Firefox and my AV honor it!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:37 am

Things to try:

If the sooundcard is PCI, move it from its PCI slot to one further from the video card and also make sure it doesn't share an irq with video card or LAN card.
Does the card work in any other media player other than XINE ( prefer VLC or gnome media player - they seem bullet proof).
It also looks like all the dependencies are not there for XINE, you may have to get an updated distro. For older hardware, I use Lubuntu (from 10.10 upwards), WattOS and other Ubuntu derivatives. Puppy is good too, but hardware issues take a bit (ok a lot) of tweaking!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:44 am

What part numbers are on the soundcard, what does lshw/lspci/hwinfo give you, and then there is something called inxi
http://www.binarytides.com/inxi-system- ... ion-linux/

That would give us vendor ID and device ID from which we may track down what you have and how to make it talk in xine.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sirrushx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Just how much "extra" can be gotten out of that old motherboard? Check what FSB speed is at hand, if 400/533 then a bit limited. But if 533/800, then maybe a better CPU model. A lot of older boards might not accept a Prescott version, but a Northwood is better than a Celeron. The more L2 cache on the die, the better the performance.
I still (occasionally) run an old Slot 1 Blaster tower, 600 P III with Win 98SE, strictly for command prompt and older games.
And I will run Win XP for as long as Firefox and my AV honor it!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) SOUNDS REALLY GOOD!!!
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby sirrushx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:34 am

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
evasive wrote:What part numbers are on the soundcard, what does lshw/lspci/hwinfo give you, and then there is something called inxi--Hmmm this is a NEW Name of a SOFTWARE "app" to me -- inxi -- I never~ ever -heard of it before!!!!!!!

I went to the page you linked here. -it looks like it is all in that Dreaded TARBALL format --I admit it -i am stuck @into RPM files!!!! (or pET files).

regards -siirushxstu
http://www.binarytides.com/inxi-system- ... ion-linux/

That would give us vendor ID and device ID from which we may track down what you have and how to make it talk in xine.
sirrushx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Sound Blaster was also known as Creative Technologies. There were at least 100 models of sound card, 8-bit, 16-bit, MCA, VLB and PCI. And also USB models.
There should be either a CT-#### or similar on the card front or back. Or the largest chip has a part # on it, if no other ID can be found. May be a matching image in this WIKI link.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster
Some models had jumpers to set, for either on-card amps or line-out to powered speakers.
Who remembers back in the late '80s, there was a "talking parrot' program in the SB features? Make him laugh and talk back to you by hitting keys! Or how about "Dr. Sbaitso", the digitized know-it-all?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 am

what info does
lshw
lspci
hwinfo
give you

those are kernel commands you can do from a terminal
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems