Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:48 pm

RE: Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7 2.9GHz 8mb Crucial 500gb SSD 8GB DDR3 1x1600 Cleve W650SC

I finally got around to clean installing the Windows 10 Pro x64 O.S. on this Sager NP6659 laptop.

Before I did the clean install I wanted to try the reset feature of this O.S. Which I did and after it was completed I ran the sfc /scannow to see if this PC still had the missing files and it did. So I proceeded with the clean install.

This new laptop came with a flash drive with the OS on it. I went into the bios and disabled the Secure Boot and then booted off the flash drive. As the process started it showed around 4 partitions that were on this PC and was given the option of deleting any or all of them. I think two of the partitions were recovery partitions, one larger one and I think a smaller one?

Now I don't know if I did the right thing but I deleted all of the partitions and decided to go with one large partition. The install seemed to go very quickly and I have a feeling not everything was wiped clean? It only took about 5 minutes to complete.

I ran the sfc /scannow to check to see if anything was still missing or wrong and it came back good with nothing found wrong or missing. Now before I go any further I would like to know if I did anything wrong up to this point and if I did what was it and what do you suggest I do to correct it?

I do have the Sager CD that came with this PC that I do believe has the various drivers I may need to also install but I don't want to end up reinstalling the crapware that this PC originally came with. I'm guessing some things are plug & play ?

The PC as of right now is on line and seems ready to continue with what ever else I need to do, but like I said before I spend any length of time going any further I want to check with folks here.

Thanks. All
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:12 pm

There likely was a hidden partition created by the OS install, maybe 2% total space.. as reference to setup configuration and storage.. for recovery needs. Another small hidden partition, maybe 3 gigs at most, would be for the drivers associated with the system and OS. Very common to have this intent, saves the cost of making an optical disk with drivers. You would be prompted on the first few uses to copy out this info to an external drive for future use. With some brands, the OS install files would be there also.
Too late now, but checking what was on those other partitions first would have been a better course.
As long as the system is working properly, get the security updates from MS. Best to have automatic download, but you choose when to install them.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:There likely was a hidden partition created by the OS install, maybe 2% total space.. as reference to setup configuration and storage.. for recovery needs. Another small hidden partition, maybe 3 gigs at most, would be for the drivers associated with the system and OS. Very common to have this intent, saves the cost of making an optical disk with drivers. You would be prompted on the first few uses to copy out this info to an external drive for future use. With some brands, the OS install files would be there also.
Too late now, but checking what was on those other partitions first would have been a better course.
As long as the system is working properly, get the security updates from MS. Best to have automatic download, but you choose when to install them.

At the time I figured that those partitions were for things like you said but something was corrupted and missing with this PC according to two different Microsoft scans that I ran probably a dozen times including one that was supposed to retrieve the corrupted or missing files on line which failed to correct the problem. Also I deleted every single program I had installed and then rescanned the PC and still the scans said it was corrupted or missing files. I used the reset features of this PC (it took about a half hour to complete) and ran the scans yet another time and it still returned the same corrupted or missing files.

Not being an ace at this I figured what ever was missing or corrupted was deep and not knowing where the problem was located I figured to delete it all and be done with it. I have spent way to much time trying to correct this problem to no avail.

I inserted the USB Flash drive that is supposed to have the ISO file on it and booted off it. The resulting process only took about 5 minutes? I reactivated the wireless router which was successful. I then ran the Windows Defender Updates and this is where it gets strange....I noticed things that referred back to last July causing me to think what I did was not a clean install but some sort of recovery of the O.S. I did not have to enter the O.S. Product Key during this entire process?

The Windows Update included an update to Windows 10 Pro x64 along with additional Windows Defender updates and this whole update process took about 2 hours. After rebooting and checking to make sure all Windows updates were complete. I checked the Control Panel to see what programs were installed and it showed only 4 programs. 2 were NVIDIA related, 1 was touchpad related and the other was Inside Airplane Mode HID Mini driver.

I then ran sfc /scannow and it returned the same message as before saying there was a missing or corrupt file. What is causing this problem ???

The way it seems to me is that this PC having all these partitions was of no benefit to me hidden or otherwise because nothing was able to be corrected. Now my question is do I continue with one large partition or go back and do it over and partition the SSD?

Something else to consider regarding partitioning: is there any particular reason or benefit for partitioning either a SSD or a plater type HDD?

Also when done regardless of which way I proceed, do I leave the BIOS secure boot disabled or reenable it?

Thanks
Last edited by c327 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 pm

I am wondering if the Secure Boot feature in the BIOS being enabled prevented this PC's corrupted or missing files from being replaced or repaired ? Oh boy!!!!
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:19 am

I have never enabled secure boot on my systems running windows 10 and no issues because of that. Whenever I do my own laptops, I strip all partitions out and clean install, but after I have made recovery merdia (just so I can return the laptop to factory settings). It looks like the pendrive is a recovery option and not a clean install. Leave what you have on the hard drive alon, download the corresponding windows 10 (pro x64) and burn it to disc and uise that to clean install. It shouldn't ask for a licence key as it detects the hardware profile from the previous activation. It should take about 30minutes for a clean install.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Mr T wrote:I have never enabled secure boot on my systems running windows 10 and no issues because of that. Whenever I do my own laptops, I strip all partitions out and clean install, but after I have made recovery merdia (just so I can return the laptop to factory settings). It looks like the pendrive is a recovery option and not a clean install. Leave what you have on the hard drive alon, download the corresponding windows 10 (pro x64) and burn it to disc and uise that to clean install. It shouldn't ask for a licence key as it detects the hardware profile from the previous activation. It should take about 30minutes for a clean install.

Thanks, I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if I should put the OS on. CD or thumb drive if it makes a difference?

Should I put the downloaded OS on the CD just as it was downloaded or should I open it then put the opened OS on the CD and close the CD out?
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:17 am

The windows 10 image is downloaded as a disc image. I burnt mine to DVD-R, but you can also do it to USB. You just use a program to do it ( media Creation Tool ). Follow the link and read the instructions.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Mr T wrote:The windows 10 image is downloaded as a disc image. I burnt mine to DVD-R, but you can also do it to USB. You just use a program to do it ( media Creation Tool ). Follow the link and read the instructions.

Hi Mr T

This is the latest.....

I downloaded the Windows 10 x64 from Microsofts website and had it put on a DVD. I booted of the DVD and installed Windows. While installing it I noticed that the 3 partition I previously deleted had been rebuilt? I deleted them again and continued with the install. This install According to Sager is supposed to be a clean install. ????

The ISO file was a little over 3.5 gb but this install only took about 10 or 15 minutes ???? Any way I continued to install the OS after which I ran the sfc scan again and it came back good but as I continued the install asked for my network pass code and after I did that it seems Windows started updating various things. After it was done I did the sfc scan again and again it came back corrupted same as all of the previous cans did.

Sager computer is of zero help on this 8 month old PC that is guaranteed for 3 years. Now Sager tech support is telling me it's not the PC but A Windows problem. Now what difference does that make to me? I spoke to a person who knows computers and he said it sounded like either a defective graphics card or the drivers for it. I ran updates for the NVIDIA GTX 950M card and rescanned and again still the same.

I am taking the PC to bestbuy and have them look at it for a written diagnosis. Seeing Sager is still offering this graphics card on some of their computers leeds me to think that Windows is not the problem. I also am getting the drift that Sager knows exactly what is wrong but does not want to fix it probably because of cost plus I am in Florida and they are on California.

I questioned Sager about the clean install not asking me for the COA Key and I was told it won't and that it is stored on the MOBO ? Something does not smell right???
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 am

Windows will create a small hidden partition on the hard drive, for setup details.. media type, OS platform and other vital info for if needed in the future. Has been so since Win '95. Part of the 'baggage' it carries.
If there was no error in the SFC scan after the reinstall, only when updates were gotten, then likely a driver file is the culprit. May only be a digital signature that does not meet the current WHQL standards.. or is not the exact file noted in the setup log.
Like the error message "checksum error" for the POST process, that "corrupt file" error is generic. The system Event Log should have an entry as to the exact nature of what is wrong.
As to the OS install not asking for a COA, likely it was included in the download of the package.. and set to register when first going on line to activate, or provided by MS during the activation. No way would the 'motherboard' have that COA info!
On the motherboard, the BIOS chip has an ID tag with the BIOS name, version and inception date. No OS install COA data.
The CPU has a unique ID tag, as does the video GPU, and so too memory modules and all other devices, for the auto-ID process of the installation.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 am

Try this - get another hard drive (preferably a SSD) and replace the one in the sager with it and install windows to that one.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems