Windows 10

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Windows 10

Postby Mark H » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:54 am

Welcome back!!!
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

evasive wrote:service release rumored to be scheduled for this september. waiting that one as I have seen a design error, you cannot have more than 512 entries in your start menu all items??? seriously????

Copper wrote:at least we got some or most of the old features back , its seams Microsoft are back...

:lol:
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 am

Hey ho.. First bout of windows updates in the new operating system.. Not bad 6 days after release...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Mr T wrote:Hey ho.. First bout of windows updates in the new operating system.. Not bad 6 days after release...

Hope they were just driver or system updates.. not security issues!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:21 am

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

Update replacement information
This update replaces the following update:
3074683 Cumulative Security Update for Windows 10: July 29, 2015

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3074683
Which was on release day. So zero days...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:30 am

And another 4 updates, very happy as it is currently rendering a pretty powerful machine useless while taking ages to install... 20 minutes for one update.. Yay....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Mark H » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Restored my laptop to Win 7 due to a few issues; most irritating was when using an external mouse, touchpad was not disabled. Went to the Dell driver page and my lappy has not been certified/tested for Windows 10. So, no new touchpad drivers, or any other Windows 10 drivers. Related issue; the cursor movement was a little jerky also, not a major problem, just irritating.

Thunderbird would not automatically check for new mail. That is a recent issue.

Note to others who may want to "Go Back"; I made the mistake of running CCleaner after the upgrade, and it removed the files needed to "Go Back". Thankfully, I imaged the drive prior to upgrading. NOT making that mistake again
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Took the "low road" today, did the DL of Win 10 upgrade. Took about 5 hours for the DL on DSL. Then about another 1.5 hours for setup. But is up and running, doing the F@H routine. Will have to fine-tune a lot of features and 'apps' to my needs.
And a few provided 'apps' by Windows will get the sharp end of my boot!! Cloud storage and OneDrive are going to be DOA. Then that default about "hop on any active network or Wifi signal".. OFF! Guess all the "Bobble-heads" are not gone from the OS programming playpen!
And have to redo all my network settings. PDT_Armataz_01_19

Edit: Sun. 23.. Turned on the F@H rig Sunday morning, my setting were changed by Windows! Had to redo the settings, as F@H GPU was not working. Took about 2 hours to redo my setup! A few useless apps I took out were back, too. This happens again, Windows will probably be exorcised!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rossco4 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 am

I have updated to win 10 prof 64-bit on i5-3570k Asus p8z77-v lx with 8gig ram, ssd

internet and PC worked fine on win 8.1, win 10 update went well but it couldn't connect to internet, so rolled back to 8.1 and everything works fine again

I have run mini tool - shows lots of MS Win Immersive Shell & Software Protection Platform Service Application errors, lots of Service control manager system errors, NS Office session errors, code integrity errors

I have tried installing Win10 Auto Installation Program (SID:1743532) from Realtek for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, which I hoped was a current driver

Also tried the advice on social TechNet Microsoft Forums no-ethernet-on-windows-10 and on answers Microsoft windows_10 update updating-a-driver

can anyone advise how to fix network connection problems in win 10 please?
Rossco4
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:08 pm

Check the Control Panel/System Devices to see if there is a warning flag at any device. Maybe just a driver compatibility problem. Or a protocol is not assigned to network features. Have you tried the "Network Wizard"?
Is your Internet connection hard-wired, or through a Wifi router? Your IPA may have been changed, and is not recognized.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems