WindowsXP reinstalled on new drive

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

WindowsXP reinstalled on new drive

Postby gate4exec » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:28 am

Newbie here. This one should be easy for you experts to answer.

I have a 10 year old "retail purchased" WinXP that my kids use. The original OEM hard drive has failed. I'd like to replace it, but not sure how to get WindowsXP OS installed on any new drive that I purchase.
I don't have any Recovery discs or WinXP OS software.
How do I go about doing this?
Naturally, I have the Windows product key, but I don't own the Windows XP OS software. (Btw, I have no desire to upgrade to any other Windows OS. I just want WinXP installed on a new hard drive.)

Any ideas?
gate4exec
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:55 am

See if you can borrow a disc from someone, it must be the same type of winXP of the retail edition -i.e., if it is retail XP Home, you must use a retail XP home edition disc. If you cannot get one, look online..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby gate4exec » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Mr T wrote:See if you can borrow a disc from someone, it must be the same type of winXP of the retail edition -i.e., if it is retail XP Home, you must use a retail XP home edition disc. If you cannot get one, look online..

Yeah, it's XP Home edition.

Any suggestions of websites that will have it?
PM if necessary. :)
gate4exec
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Toby B. » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:51 pm

gate4exec wrote:
Mr T wrote:See if you can borrow a disc from someone, it must be the same type of winXP of the retail edition -i.e., if it is retail XP Home, you must use a retail XP home edition disc. If you cannot get one, look online..

Yeah, it's XP Home edition.

Any suggestions of websites that will have it?
PM if necessary. :)

Other than places like ebay, you cant get Windows XP anymore. Unless you download it illegally.. WHICH those types of discussions are prohibited here!!
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:59 am

Windows XP will be officially abandoned next April 2014. Termed as "end of service life".
There still are some offers on eBay and other sources for Win XP Home version, as well as other versions. But ensure it comes with the COA and SP2. You will need SP3 to make it acceptable to Internet access.
Just boot directly from the OS install disk, follow the prompts.. install the drivers for the system, then get your antivirus and firewall programs installed. Then go online for needed security updates from the Microsoft Update site. Might take an hour or more to get all the security updates!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: WindowsXP reinstalled on new drive

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 am

gate4exec wrote:Newbie here. This one should be easy for you experts to answer.

I have a 10 year old "retail purchased" WinXP that my kids use. The original OEM hard drive has failed. I'd like to replace it, but not sure how to get WindowsXP OS installed on any new drive that I purchase.
I don't have any Recovery discs or WinXP OS software.
How do I go about doing this?
Naturally, I have the Windows product key, but I don't own the Windows XP OS software. (Btw, I have no desire to upgrade to any other Windows OS. I just want WinXP installed on a new hard drive.)

Any ideas?

You need to acquire an XP O.S. software that matches you COA, and that has already been covered here but there is more to that than installing the O.S. in your situation.

You say you don't have a recovery CD> Once the operating system has been installed you will need to install various drivers that pertain to your particular computer otherwise Windows will install various basic generic drivers here and there.

First of all do not go on line until you get at least a basic anti virus utility installed on that PC first and then update it. Do this on another PC and save the file to say a thumb drive. Do this with a few other utilities also while your at it. Once your PC is protected at least with an anti virus then you can go on line to get what ever updated drivers you will need.

If your PC was store bought I suggest that you go the the manufacturer's website and download what ever updated drivers they may have for it.

I for one even if I just bought a new store bought PC (which I wouldn't) would not use the included software unless I wanted something specific in it. I would wipe the HDD and then acquire all of the latest drivers manually and while doing that get rid of all the junk that is included in the original PC.

The main thing to do is to first get the PC protected with all Windows Critical updates and there are many, then go from there.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby gate4exec » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:27 am

So, I still have yet to fix this old broken WinXP PC.
I decided to poke around Ebay for a copy of WinXP software.
I quickly noticed many people trying to sell WinXP Home edition "Upgrade version" vs. WinXP Home edition "Full version".
Since I'll be installing XP onto a new hard drive that doesn't contain any windows software, can I get away with using the "Upgrade" version or do I really need to buy the "Full" version"?
Thanks!
gate4exec
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Be very wary of any OS install disks that are not genuine and certified. The non-data surface will have a full Hologram, where the counterfeit (pirated) disks would not!
There are more than 300 Win XP security updates. Not likely you could obtain all. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin
If you get the Win XP "upgrade" package, you would need an active OS of Win 98 on the system.. or a certified OS install disk for Win 98. Just exchange the optical disk when prompted for the OS verification.
Rather than fiddle around with a reinstall of XP, perhaps your system can support Win Vista. It still has some "life" left.
Win Vista still gets full (mainstream) security support until January 13, 2015 and 'extended' support until January 14, 2020.

Windows Vista Home Basic needs:
800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
Note: On system configurations that use system memory as graphics memory, at least 448 MB of system memory must be available to the operating system after some memory is allocated for graphics.
DirectX 9-class graphics card
32 MB of graphics memory
20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space
Internal or external DVD drive
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gate4exec » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:39 pm

While I appreciate the reply, I'm not deeply concerned about security. This PC will be dedicated to run music software (Reason by Propellerhead Software). It is designed to run 32bit Win2000 or WinXP. Nothing else will be running on this PC. I might log on to the internet for driver downloads, but I certainly have no intentions of doing anything else on the PC.
I just want a fresh install of XP on this new hard drive. (This hard drive was a back-up drive. It does not contain any OS software on it. It's been wiped clean and ready to be used as the primary drive to run WinXP).
This doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, or is it?
gate4exec
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:33 am

Let me check if there's ISO files out there that can be had without directly turning your PC into a smoking pile of malware infections... basically 99% of them has some sort of infection... if you are that convinced. BTW what version of Reason are you running? I see version 8 requires windows 7 to run...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems