RE: Windows 2000 motherboards

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 am

SB600 already not supported, why expect SB7/SB8** to be supported? Once they drop support it means for that one and anything after.

Hmmm yeah, not considered that nVidia/Linux, sorry.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

nVidia still lists windows 2000 drivers for that line of chipsets. ATi/AMD do not at all for anything from SB600 and up...

F1/F2/F3/F4/FA/FB is the bios release numbering scheme they have. Not all that obvious, so not a dumb question.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Uitlander » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 pm

evasive wrote:SB600 already not supported, why expect SB7/SB8** to be supported? Once they drop support it means for that one and anything after.

Hmmm yeah, not considered that nVidia/Linux, sorry.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

nVidia still lists windows 2000 drivers for that line of chipsets. ATi/AMD do not at all for anything from SB600 and up...

F1/F2/F3/F4/FA/FB is the bios release numbering scheme they have. Not all that obvious, so not a dumb question.

Okay, so how do I become familiar with this "bios release numbering scheme"...enough to actually have some grasp of difference between F1, F2, etc.? Right now, it flies right past me!

So there are no AMD chipsets on Gigabyte motherboards that will run this OS? I'm not seeing any here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131303
So its either Intel chipsets on Gigabyte boards, or forget about it?
That's a downer!

Yes, its strange about nVIDIA...supposed to be the best graphics card for Linux, yet they got crappy rep for board/chipsets!
Uitlander
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 am

AMD didn't start production of chipsets until 1999, and thew were very buggy. A patch was released in late 2000 to fix an AGP problem. They weren't officially supported until the AMD 760 came out in 2000. The only other one supported by W2K (that I'm aware of) is the AMD 8000 chipset.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Uitlander » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:11 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:AMD didn't start production of chipsets until 1999, and thew were very buggy. A patch was released in late 2000 to fix an AGP problem. They weren't officially supported until the AMD 760 came out in 2000. The only other one supported by W2K (that I'm aware of) is the AMD 8000 chipset.

Are you saying that boards having AMD SB760 chipset will for sure install/run Windows 2000Professional? So SB760 was the first and last chipset to support Win 2000? No intermediary chipset for both Win2000 & XP Pro?
Uitlander
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:48 am

760, not SB760. 760 is for socket A processors, a few generations back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_chipsets

The difference between the revisions are mostly bug fixes and sometimes enhancements, supports for newer CPUs etc. Some manufacturers give release notes where they describe what changed, some manufacturers don't care/give info.

That is possible. Can be Gigabyte never applied any of their AMD motherboards for compatibility testing with Microsoft.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Operating Systems