Win 7 random freezes

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win 7 random freezes

Postby redwing » Sat May 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Hello:

We have a new system at home, running Win 7. It freezes randomly and this appears to be a fairly common problem. I installed a hotfix for the freezing and it is a bit better, anyone here experienced this??

Here is the article with the hotfix info..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204454/f ... eezes.html

Red
redwing
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 08, 2011 5:07 am

Noted several links referring to memory problems.. mainly voltage/timing issues. Do a diagnostics on your system, with Aida 64 or similar. This will disclose your timings and other critical system data. Some other helpful hints at the Windows 7 Forum site.
While Memtest may show no problems, it is not running tests at the optimum speed as when the OS is active. Ensure the memory used is on the QVL chart of the mobo provider.
But also ensure that all programming is 64-bit for the OS base, as 32-bit programming strings may accidentally be combined, causing system lockups. Run older non-64 bit programming in 'compatibility' mode.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

oh boy

Postby redwing » Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 pm

well, I guess I have to get my computer tech hat back on...thanks for the information, I am really disappointed that Win 7 has issues, I had hope that at last I could build a machine that just worked..

Which edition of of Aida should I use, extreme or business and should I just use the trial download or pay for a fully functioning version...

well here goes...Thanks again..:-)

Red
redwing
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Thu May 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Its not windows7 fault, unless it has been installed incorrectly or has a virus.. The main cause is bad hardware and that is usually a failing hard drive.. The best test is to back up and recover (if a pre-built set up) or a clean install....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 13, 2011 7:40 am

Unless you have a network of computers, as in an office, then the "Extreme" edition of Aida64 would be the best choice. You could use the "trial" version, but some features would be locked out.
There are many good diagnostics programs available, including Belarc Advisor and Sisoft Sandra. Working within the OS 'arena' will give more accurate tests of memory timing and other critical system factors.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

caviar green

Postby redwing » Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 am

I just heard from the store that built the box that Caviar green drives are not built for loading an os on, is this true??..could this be the problem??

Red
redwing
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: caviar green

Postby Mr T » Fri May 13, 2011 7:32 pm

redwing wrote:I just heard from the store that built the box that Caviar green drives are not built for loading an os on, is this true??..could this be the problem??

Red
They are talking rubbish, have used a lot of them and they take Vista and win 7 fine....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

whew!

Postby redwing » Fri May 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I did wonder, as there did not seem to be a reason other than its speed..

I will do the diagnostics and see what give..

The computer does not freeze if you use it every few hours, just if it is left on and not used overnight..strange...

Thanks Mt T...

Red
redwing
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am

May be a problem with the 'power options' settings in the Control Panel. Set the stats for "always on" if a home computer is desired to always be active. Set the monitor turn-off for about 15~20 minutes, use a 'blank screen' instead of a screen saver image. And with a SS hard drive, 'never turn off' would be appropriate. Also ensure that a "wake on" feature such as mouse or keyboard response brings up the OS from a hibernation or snooze cycle. You may also have to set similar features in the BIOS.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

tests

Postby redwing » Sat May 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Hello:

ran a couple of tests: WD hard drive utility, tested great, then something called LinX which checked the memory. Not sure what I was looking for there, but there did not appear to be any errors..

here is the url of the results screen shot:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/Qz8gX1Mt/2_online.html

I will look at the power settings again...

Sunday 22 may..

Made sure all the power supply setting left everything on, still freezes...

Think I will run the ram tester over night to see if there is anything there...

This is not a wide spread problem, but it does affect quite a few users..

Thanks for the replies..

Red
redwing
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Operating Systems