Win7 Home, preconfigured PC first startup: no username used

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Win7 Home, preconfigured PC first startup: no username used

Postby videobruce » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:01 am

Using a dime a dozen, store bought preconfigured PC running Win 7, during the initial setup out of the box, when you are at the user name/ computer name screen, I initially typed in a user name, but then did a "cut", deleting that name and I just entered a password to see if it would let me do this.

To my surprise it did, advancing me to the next screen with just a password.

When I got to the actual login screen and just typed in the password, but it wouldn't let me login. I tried the original user name with the password, but that didn't work.

The solution from Comtrash was to do a restore process, effectively reloading their version of the O/S.

Is this some M$ glitch?
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:02 am

No, its an M$ security protocol... Means a named user has to use the machine so not just anyone can hack it... You could have gone in through safe mode and changed it.... A recovery is the long way round, but probably the easiest for non knowledgeable shop assistants to tell you...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Operating Systems