'Logging off' screen durning boot process in XP

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

'Logging off' screen durning boot process in XP

Postby videobruce » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 am

This is a long story, so I will leave off most of it.

Details:
XP Pro w/sp3,
two bootable drives, both partitioned w/ the 1st partition active,
both active partitions have XP installed,

Something got corrupted between the two active partitions. No idea how as I took precautions to prevent this, but apparently not enough. I tried to restore the image of the 2nd drive, but when I did so, I got this 'logging off' dialog box during the boot process. The process stops there, but after 2 minutes it goes into a 'loop', flashing two other dialog boxes (can't read because they are too brief) every few seconds. I then tried the image from the 1st drive, but I got the same thing.

Any ideas what is happening and what to do about it other that start all over?
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Windows Starts up and you login and it logs off immediately?

If this is the case, its usually caused by Malware.

Google Search on the subject:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=logs+off+immediately+xp

This post is probably your best bet:
http://forums.techarena.in/operating-sy ... 113139.htm

darshit wrote:I think your pc is attacked by Malware. Enter the Recovery Console .Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

* CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

* COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

* Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

* You'll be able to login successfully

* Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry

I would do all of these as per the last post:
userinit.exe
user.exe
user32.dll
userenv.dll
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm not even logged in! The boot process doesn't get that far, at least according to what I can see on screen. Just after the splash screen clears (a few seconds) the 'logging off' dialog box appears.

This was from two slightly different images, that were/are off of working partitions.

BTW, these are PATA drives, not SATA (if that matters).
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 pm

and can you remove one of them for testing purposes? see which one will boot? is this using the same windows key on both partitions?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Mmmmm...............even on seperate partitions, two similar installs of XP will share certain files and functions. One goes bad, the other is likely to be hosed as well. When you do this, even with seperate "drives", or partitions, specific things get installed to the default location. Say, you have drives C and D, all your documents, settings, and OS related info will get installed to drive C, no matter how how you have yourself partitioned. You need to try to recover the first drive first, that's where all your info is stored, NOT on the second partition.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 am

videobruce wrote:I'm not even logged in! The boot process doesn't get that far, at least according to what I can see on screen. Just after the splash screen clears (a few seconds) the 'logging off' dialog box appears.

If your system is setup to automatically log you in, so you see a desktop right away, then this would also happen.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 am

and can you remove one of them for testing purposes? see which one will boot?
I have disconnected one, then the other, but no difference.
is this using the same windows key on both partitions?
Yes, since it is the same O/S disc. I have done this for years with no issue.
even on seperate partitions, two similar installs of XP will share certain files and functions.
Not if they are installed separately.
One goes bad, the other is likely to be hosed as well.
No. This is why I do this in the 1st place. if one O/S install goes bad, I can boot to the other in the other drive.
If your system is setup to automatically log you in, so you see a desktop right away, then this would also happen.
That's the thing. I don't see the desktop. It doesn't get that far!
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby videobruce » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 am

Let me ask this;

In the past I have always used this setup, but with PATA drives using a DPDT toggle switch connected to the jumpers on the back of the drives to switch from Master to Slave and vice a versa. It worked fine. With this MB, in the Bios, it allows changing the boot order of the drives which hopefully eliminates the switch/ jumper issue. As far as I can tell it works, but the 2nd bootable drive got corrupted when I copied the image of the 1st drive to the 2nd. I had both drive 'on line' and there was a conflict with the two bootable partitions drive names (being the same) until I edited the 2nd drive to a different name (including permissions). I'm assuming this was at least one of the reasons for the problem. I should of disconnected the 1st drive when I booted to the 2nd drive the 1st time.

If that would of solved the problem, I'm not sure, it's just my guess.

Anyway, using the Bios to change the boot order with PATA drives, with one always being a Master and the other always being the Slave on the same bus, is that or could that be a problem as far as Windows goes with this setup??
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:16 am

YES.

You also forgot something, You have two installs of XP on on CD key. MS now uses WGA on XP, so it's likely deactivating one of your installs as being illegal. Believe it or not, no matter how many drives you have installed in your system, two, three, or more XP installs will ALWAYS install similiar files to the main C drive. Every. Single. Time. Most of the time, it does't matter, but this is the exact reason Windows never suggests two XP installs.

Is it possible to run RAID 1 instead?
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby videobruce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:59 am

Yes to which question?

There is only one "C" drive at a time, the other 'active' drives are other drive letters, right? Are you saying files will get installed to any "active" partition that had a O/S on it? Are you referring to Windows files or any files (programs)?
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Operating Systems