Windows 7: Windows 7 Boot Problem - Help Please

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby marcbkk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:06 am

Ran Crap Cleaner, but did not fix the problem I am afraid.

The log when I try to start up Windows Firewall says the following:

There was an error opening the WIndows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in. The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error ode: 0x6D9
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:16 am

Yep you may have some sort of damage in your windows install, there's quite a few articles out there, some of them about Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 and all of them are handling something with system policies, old policy packages being applies and registry mayhem in general. Do you have any restore points from before the system crash at all? You need to check the "show all" in the list screen when going to the system restore applet.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby marcbkk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have any useful restore points prior to the crash. But Windows Firewall doesn't seem critical to have as far as I understand. My Router has a Firewall and it seems the Windows Firewall from what I read really only protects from other computers on a shared network. My network and router is just me. Only one computer. So maybe not so critical anyway?
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm

You should be fine with just the router hardware firewall. Having a software firewall on a single computer network is pretty much redundant. I'd try to fix it anyway, there's a good possibility other things are messed up as well, they just haven't popped up yet. If you feel like it, run Microsoft Security Essentials for a virus scan, it's quite a nice program, does a good job. That might show something your other scanner didn't.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Operating Systems