Windows 7: Windows 7 Boot Problem - Help Please

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 7: Windows 7 Boot Problem - Help Please

Postby marcbkk » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi All.

My install of Windows 7 was working fine and all of a sudden it won’t boot anymore. Yesterday I put in a required Java Program update install and I think Windows just added a couple of critical updates as well.

I have tried booting in every way possible, rolling back, safe mode, etc, and nothing works.

I keep getting the screen telling me there is a problem and must do a system repair. Then the repairs and all it wants to do is shut down.

I managed to pull up some error reports and it seems two files are corrupt which are TCPIP.SYS and one called FWPKCLNT.SYS.

TCPIP.SYS is located in C:/Windows/System32/Drivers

FWPKCLNT.SYS seems to be in drive F: which is not an actual drive. It must be a temporary boot drive created by Windows 7.

I have an older XP on another partition on the same hard drive so I booted in XP to see if I could possibly delete the reported corrupt TCPIP.SYS file and replace it from another Windows 7 install from my laptop just to see if that might work. But it won’t let me delete the TCPIP.SYS file. It says it is in use, but I can't understand that since I am trying to delete it from the Windows 7 partition while I am booted up from the XP boot partition.

I don't know what else to try, but I am hoping there is some sort of fix so I don't spend 6 hours nuking the Windows 7 OS and doing a full reinstall.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards...
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't spend 6 hours nuking the Windows 7 OS and doing a full reinstall.
That would probably be the easiest bet, if a windows repair fails to work... Google the error message if you can, someone may have posted a fix, but it would probably be easier to do a complete reinstall...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:36 am

interesting to see the trouble is with replacing the tcpip and firewall drivers. I smell a rootkit here. If that is the case, yes, a full reinstall is in order.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby marcbkk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:45 am

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I got very close to doing a full reinstall and had put in the Windows 7 installation DVD. Before wiping out the whole system I decided to run the system tools from the installation DVD one last time. I had done it many times already using a system recovery disk and nothing worked. Amazingly it brought back my system, but the Windows Firewall is screwed. I can't seem to get it to turn or or fix itself. I can live without it I guess, but is there any way I can simply somehow reinstall Windows Firewall alone? Cheers... Marc
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:50 am

download the free version, install, update, do a full scan:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

download, install, scan:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_rootkit_revealer/

download, install, update, full scan:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby marcbkk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks, but none of those links seem like the installed for the original Windows 7 Firewall. Is this it though?

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 am

No what Evasive is getting at is running these programs will get at the nasty that is stopping the firewall from working... Run them in SAFE MODE though and see what you get...
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby marcbkk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:13 am

I don't think I have a nasty actually. I just recovered from a System Crash. I think the crash might have damaged my Windows 7 install.
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 am

A virus can do this quite easily, all it takes is for one file to corrupt... It is worth doing... The other thing to do is download and run crap cleaner....
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby marcbkk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 am

Thanks. I installed and ran Microsoft Security Essentials. It did not find any problems and it is running in the background now in real time as added protection. Also, it does not run in Safe Mode so I ran it in normal boot mode.

Will run Crap Cleaner and see if that helps.
marcbkk
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Operating Systems