MT6707

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MT6707

Postby kylepaddock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 am

I have a Gateway MT6707. I talked to suupport to see if my laptop (made in March 2007) will support win7. They said no. Will it support it? Will win7 harm my compuiter if i install it if it is not supported?
Gateway MT6707 Notebook
Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 1.6 GHz
Memory 2048 MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
224 MB shared video memory
High definition audio 2 channel
160 GB HD
8X Multi-format dual layer optical drive
802.11g wireless LAN
4 USB 2.0 ports
One VGA port
One S-Video
One IEEE 1394
One PCMCIA Slot

If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
kylepaddock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 pm

If you have an XP or Vista licence sticker, my personal view is don't bother, you'd be throwing away good money at an old machine with software that works... On the other side of things, a lot of older laptops don't support win7 due to ACPI (power interface between hardware and windows) issues, so you may find the system won't shut down properly, the CPU won't throttle up and down etc... I know we are not all made of money, but if you want win7 it is worthwhile in the long run to get new hardware....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby kylepaddock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 pm

ya i dont have much money. i have win7 cheep through work.
Gateway MT6707 Notebook
Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 1.6 GHz
Memory 2048 MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
224 MB shared video memory
High definition audio 2 channel
160 GB HD
8X Multi-format dual layer optical drive
802.11g wireless LAN
4 USB 2.0 ports
One VGA port
One S-Video
One IEEE 1394
One PCMCIA Slot

If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
kylepaddock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm

It won't hurt anything. It just won't work right. TBH, Gateway is going to say that just to get you to upgrade the whole machine instead even if it does indeed work fine. I'd stick with what you have now, really, XP's support lifecycle was extended to 2014 recently, with SP3 installed.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby miki02131 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:53 pm

I talked to suupport to see if my laptop (made in March 2007) will support win7. They said no. Will it support it? Will win7 harm my compuiter if i install it if it is not supported?

I say gateway is giving you nonsense with that answer. Your computer only needs to meet the basic requirements: 1Ghz cpu and 1GB RAM to run win 7. Having said that, based on the hardware, you may need to hunt and find some drivers directly from the manufacturers websites. If this fails, you can always try vista or XP drivers. One of these tricks should work.

Here is how I know Win 7 will perform wonder on your 2007 computer. I have an experimental 2000 HP Pavilion. Its specs are: 1Ghz cpu and 384MB RAM. I recently installed Win 7 on it and it performed much better than XP. By the way I installed the OS on a CF card that I use as hdd using an IDE to CF adapter. Guest what, I was even able to watch Youtube videos on this old system. If this is not proof enough that you have nothing to worry about, what else can I say.

Miki Out.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:21 pm

miki02131 wrote:
I talked to suupport to see if my laptop (made in March 2007) will support win7. They said no. Will it support it? Will win7 harm my compuiter if i install it if it is not supported?

I say gateway is giving you nonsense with that answer. Your computer only needs to meet the basic requirements: 1Ghz cpu and 1GB RAM to run win 7. Having said that, based on the hardware, you may need to hunt and find some drivers directly from the manufacturers websites. If this fails, you can always try vista or XP drivers. One of these tricks should work.

Here is how I know Win 7 will perform wonder on your 2007 computer. I have an experimental 2000 HP Pavilion. Its specs are: 1Ghz cpu and 384MB RAM. I recently installed Win 7 on it and it performed much better than XP. By the way I installed the OS on a CF card that I use as hdd using an IDE to CF adapter. Guest what, I was even able to watch Youtube videos on this old system. If this is not proof enough that you have nothing to worry about, what else can I say.

Miki Out.

It's not so much the overall specs, it's the drivers you mentioned. If you got XP drivers to work, more power to ya, but those generally don't. Vista drivers will, for the most part, but remember, we're dealing with a dead stock Gateway here, if it won't tie to the BIOS, it won't install or run.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:22 pm

miki02131 wrote:

I say gateway is giving you nonsense with that answer. Your computer only needs to meet the basic requirements: 1Ghz cpu and 1GB RAM to run win 7.

I'd say likely they have not even tested it. Anything not tested and certified to run Windows 7 gets the "No" answer. Otherwise it just generates support calls.

If you have the original installation media for the laptop, try loading 7 and do a factory restore if it doesn't work out.

Miki is right about the driver hunt. They will not have made drivers for the laptop because its not worth the investment. So if you are missing drivers, your going to have to hunt them down. Vista drivers might work though.

Give it a go if you really want it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems