Linux suggestions?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Linux suggestions?

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue May 11, 2010 2:57 pm

After the vid card debacle, I'm in the market for a light, fast Linux distro that will run well on the ol' IBM lappie. I'll certainly give Ubuntu a lookover, but I might want something faster, without as many frills. Bear in mind, this isn't a Lenovo, it's an actual IBM. P3 900mhz, 256mb PC100 RAM, you get the idea. It ain't a speed demon. Basically, all I want is a lightweight backup machine, although the capability of Flash would be nice (not just FB, but for general web viewing as well, and my school site does use it liberally), and some light movie viewing. I do have a CD burner/DVD reader combo in there, and I think I still have the floppy drive module if I need it, have to check the basement.

Any suggestions? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but bear in mind, it's been a long time since I've had to do any Linux command line stuff, beyond some basic "get me the heck outta here" stuff. The easier, the better.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Wed May 12, 2010 4:16 am

If you want light look at Lubuntu, rather than ubuntu...

Others too look at....

Easypeasy

Macpup

Puppy

MoonOS is really nice, but may be a bit heavy...

xPUD is a small fast OS, but has issues with certain new realtek wifi cards, atheros wifi cards and certain broadcomm wifi cards, but it is superfast...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm

OK, Ubuntu 10.04 won't work, it won't even boot into LiveCD. Too slow, too little RAM. I did manage to almost get it to install over W2K, but it didn't work right. Puppy had the same issues, would start to load, then freeze halfway through (usually during IRQ polling). Trying Xubuntu next, that's actually within this little machine's specs (though I have doubts about the graphics chip, might have to do it command line and find a driver for the old Savage chip in here), if that still hangs, I've got Xubuntu Server as well, uses even less resources, and should really be enough for what I need. Haven't gotten the alternate CD yet, that one looks a bit too wobbly. Worst case, I throw W2K back on here and suffer............... 8)

*edit* After seven hours and no luck even getting an install screen (just the main menu to pick an install option) I'm giving up for the night. Maybe AmEv can chime in here, he's done this recently, on something older and slower than this machine. I've done this before, why it isn't even coming close to starting is beyond me........

*argh I'm an idiot edit* Maybe if I had my freakin' partitions structured right, this whole mess would work. :roll: Burning Gparted Live now, will give that a go, then I'm collapsing. I've been at this for 10 hours now, and I haven't even gotten an install screen yet.

Nope, no go. I get to the line that says:

1.594284 serial 0000:00:03.1: sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:03.0

and it stops dead there, even in failsafe mode. Apparently I've got some IRQ conflict somewhere that newer linux partition managers just can't handle. Meh. Maybe the solution will hit me after a good night's sleep.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Droth » Mon May 17, 2010 12:57 am

I just had a ubuntu meltdown on my pc. Noob mistake on the partitions firstly and after install I couldn't load Win 7 or Ubuntu because of the error: Grub Rescue. :x

Back to teh drawing board.

BTW, how old/new is the 10.04 version?
Intolerance is a disease, whether sexual, religious or racial, that we all must fight on a daily basis.
-Jason Whitlock
Droth
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon May 17, 2010 1:16 am

That's the newest. Lucid Lynx or something silly. I figured I would try that one first, Xubuntu if it was too slow, then some of Mr T's other suggestions if that was still too slow. The idea here is to get something nice and speedy on a ten year old laptop.

I'll figger it out, installing XP on the thing for now, I at least need something that's getting security updates for a little while. Win2k is just too old. Not to mention it doesn't support much in the way of software any more. What's wierd is I'm adding the commands to turn off APIC or whatever power management is for laptops, and disabling IRQ polling........but it's not working. I'm sure I'm doing something silly.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 am

serial is serial as in COM port, maybe disabling the COM ports in the bios works.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon May 17, 2010 3:28 am

I'll give it a try. I seem to be having ye olde "freezing at 34 mintues" issue that plagued me back when XP came out, about all you can do with that is keep restarting until XP decides do ignore the hardware conflict and move on.

I did, however, find that I can change the PCI IRQ's in the BIOS, getting them to stay that way may be a challenge, though. :roll: At least it might get me up and running. Well, that and the oddball IBM screen size I have to manually adjust for.

Serial port is off, there's no option to turn off the modem (mini-PCI slot card, I could probably pull it out if I had the motivation), IRQ's changed, now it's conflicting on IRQ 9, same message, same error, just the IRQ port changed, and I put all four on different IRQ settings. Have to figure out what's on that IRQ...........if I can ever get anything resembling an OS to load. :?

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon May 17, 2010 4:28 am

You are using the latest bios for this thing, yes?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon May 17, 2010 4:45 am

Yep. For all that's worth. The latest BIOS was from 2003, they discontinued this model when Lenovo took over completely. I did fix the freezing issue, deleted the modem driver that was hanging.........that may also fix my Linux issue. I can install Xubuntu from within Windows, which should bypass the shoddy driver that may indeed be the culprit. Stupid to have to do it this way, but hey...........if it works, I'll be happy. Any of these distros come with the majority of the software I need, I might just have to install a media player.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon May 17, 2010 5:36 am

evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems